recording onto an Apple Mac

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by alansan, Aug 30, 2005.

1. alansan

Mar 12, 2004
    Dublin, Ireland
    Does anyone have the time to explain or give me any links to where I could find out how to record my bass directly into my mac?

Do I need special software/peripherals/connections/microphones etc.? Basically I am looking to make the best possible recording to show people my playing style without having to invest heavily in equipment.

Any suggestions based on experience would be appreciated.
  2. mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    What kind of a mac do you have with what OS?
    If you have Garageband, you should be able to get to recording quickly with the audio input jack on most macs.

WR will check in soon, as he used to use the audio in jack on his powerbook so he will be able to give you better advice.

3. alansan

Mar 12, 2004
    Dublin, Ireland
    I have a G3 running OS 9.6. I know Garageband comes with OSX but I'm still clinging to the old. The last time I fooled around with cd sampling and mixing was on Sound Edit software, but I havn't recorded any instruments yet.

When you say input jack do you mean a direct link from the guitar jack into the computer?
  4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Okay dude, OS 9.6 is a *great* Operating system, it is stable, fast and clean cut. Everyone loves it....but...GET WITH THE FRIGGIN TIMES!

I'm sorry, but you're in for a world of headache if you should choose to seriously pursue recording on such dated equipment. Even if you manage to get a hold of some older version of protools or whatever, then you hardware will be woefully subpar and likely cause a lot of hair pulling out of.

My suggestion, if budget is a concern, get a mac mini, it's as powerful as my powerbook and it comes with garageband, which will streamline your recording process substantially, and you'll get OS 10.4 as well, and you know... be welcomed into the world of today ;) . I've made countless tracks on this powerbook, so I know it's upto it.

I upgraded to an iMac setup not too long ago, but the powerbook is a solid machine, and the mac minis can definitely hold up pretty well with this stuff.
  5. fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    yeah, i go into a 15inch powerbook with garage band and just go into my sound in card with a quarter to 1/8th adapter. I never really found 9.6 to be all that it was, but after a while it needs to be overhauled and wiped.
  6. I use my iBook G4 with OSX and Garage Band. I bought an M-Audio Quattro last year when Musician's Friend was blowing them out at $99. People complained about it, but M-Audio put out a driver patch that fixed all of the latency and noise, and it works great. No problems at all!
  7. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI

Agreed. I have a buddy running 10.3.8 and he's finally realizing why he's having problems with all his music programs. Tiger 10.4.2 rocks!
  8. alansan

Mar 12, 2004
    Dublin, Ireland
    Okay I get the picture.:smug: I do use a G5 with OSX in work so I can have a go with Garageband. Do I need any cables/adaptors etc.?
  9. The 1/4" to 1/8" adapter will be pretty important. Big plugs and small holes don't work. Other than that, you should be set.
  10. DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    my post is sort of topic but still illustrates the point that Wrong Robot stated. yesterday i plugged in 16 tracks of softsynths into my Mini running a 4 minute MIDI song. each track had additional reverbs and chorus, etc effects running. the graphics and the mouse response started slowing down, but never once did the sound pop or click or lag. i was completely impressed by how well it ran. thats with 10.4.2 and GB 2.02.
  11. "Big plugs and small holes don't work."

ha...thats what she said?

Sorry, couldn't resist... :\

I should really get with the times and get a mac in general.