1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recording Opinions for a session with a different engineer?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by behndy, Mar 19, 2010.

1. behndy

behndy Inactive

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    hey there all.

here are 3 songs my band and i (Nosebleed Academy) did recently for a self-produced quickie ep thing. the first 3 songs are ours, then the 4th is a remix the engineer did.

http://www.myspace.com/nosebleedacademy

i'd love to hear peoples opinions.... not just because i have a huge ego, but also because we're going in to have somebody with a lot more experience (he's worked with some big'uns) do a 6 or 7 song thing. and my recording vocabulary is MINUSCULE.

i play a 6 string bass on these, use a few effects, do a little bit of tapping but mostly fingers and some plucked and strummed chords. we don't have a guitar player, the singer plays keyboards and we sequence some drums and some synth/keyboard lines for live stuff.

i guess i'm mostly worried about being able to communicate what needs to be done to make an ERB bass fit in well in the mix, but still stand out enough.

any input helps!

thanks!

-0behn desu0-

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    i think you should leave it alone, behindy. of course, this is just from listening on my laptop, but that is some great stuff, dude! i don't see where you've got a whole lot to worry about.

3. behndy

behndy Inactive

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    thanks JiMMbo! we did this on the cheap... used a program to MIDI out the beats our drummer playered thru a CRAPPY recording at our practice spot then drum-replaced them and i recorded the bass on my home setup (love you Sansamp). the only thing that was recorded with the engineer was the vocals... and he's more experienced with producing then mixing so some of the stuff that was being originally done just buried the bass. i'm a git about mixing so me sitting down with him i'm sure was frustrating for him.

the thing we're working on now is going to be redoing 2 of these songs and 4 new ones. i think i'm going to be recording all the bass at my house but we're booking studio time for the drums and vocals.

thanks for listening Jimmz!!

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Great stuff, Ben- really full sounding without having a guitar player as well.

5. behndy

behndy Inactive

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    thanks Bry!

it's ridiculously fun writing stuff knowing that i get first dibs on whatever frequency range i want.

-0behn desu0-

6. behndy

behndy Inactive

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    anybody else?

i'm VERY curious about people's opinions.

any critique/advice is super appreciated!

thanks!

-0behn desu0-

7. behndy

behndy Inactive

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    final bump.

i see that a lot of people are looking.

any suggestions at all are mad helpful. we go in to work with new guy in a couple weeks i think. drum tracks are this weekend.

thanks!

-0behn desu0-

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 25, 2020