Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recording out of my head?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by PollyBass, Sep 3, 2001.

1. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Someone said i could record my bass into a mixer, just running something out of the head, and to the mixer. is this true? what would i run out of my head? theres alot of inputs there...... i noticed the "Do i need a di" post, but would i need one for a mixer?

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    If you have an XLR out on your amp, you can use your amp instead of a DI box.
    It's possible to run your bass into a mixer without any direct box or such, but chances are that it will not sound too good and, if the bass is a passive one, you will not have satisfying amount of gain available on the mixer's preamp to get a clean signal.

3. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Ok, it has a balenced out, that has the 3 prong thing that ive seen on mics, thats what your talking about right? so if i have that, i dont need a di, but it would be preferable? ok. thanks dude.

4. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Correct.
    Not necessarily - if the quality of the amp's own DI is OK and doesn't play tricks on you or add a lot of noise then that's just about what you need. I bet that unless you're willing to pay $100 or more, the DI in your amp is as good as any of the boxes.
    You're welcome... dude. :)