Recording: Playing to a rubato pre-recorded track

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by dhosek, May 30, 2002.

1. dhosek

May 25, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    OK, I picked up some session work and the drummer and I are playing to pre-recorded piano and vocals. Some of the songs are a breeze: They were recorded with a click and even though we don't have the click anymore, we both have pretty solid time so it's not a problem. But there are some tracks where the tempo does not stay still from one beat to the next. Any tips for getting this firmly embedded or am I doomed to spend the weekend listening to her sing "You Don't Bring Me Flowers" over and over and over and over?

2. AlexFeldman

Jun 18, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I think there really aren't any other options in this situation except to listen to it over and over again until you can feel it the same way that the piano player was feeling it... Gah. That doesn't really help at all. Sorry, man. Good luck!

P.S. Playing anywhere around town in the near future?
  3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Perhaps if you mentally change the word "Flowers" to "Downbeats" while you're listening to it over and over and over, it might hurt a little less...but I don't see any other way around this one. Good luck.
  4. dhosek

May 25, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    There might be some shows with the singer (Kate Shindle) in late June/early July. I think the gigs are booked it's just a matter of determining whether the show budget will cover a band or just a piano player.

I've got an orchestra gig tentatively scheduled on the 14th, but I think that might be one of the dates for a Kate show. In a conflict, Kate wins since that will pay while the orchestra gig won't (plus the orchestra's not all that great anyway... one notch below the "phone it in" orchestra mentioned in another thread, really).

5. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    For bass you can just get it as close as you can and adjust for pre-recorded nuttiness in ProTools. Then go home and let the drummer do his thing...
  6. Mike Goodbar

Mike Goodbar Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Charlotte, NC

If you have to play, "You Don't Bring Me Flowers," I hope it pays damn good!:rolleyes:
  7. dhosek

May 25, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    Well, there is the fact that I would be playing for:[​IMG]
    That's gotta be worth something.

In the meantime, I'm getting my tuba chops back together for a track or two as well. Fortunately, the tuba embrouchure isn't exactly the most demanding of embrouchures.

8. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Two things;
    1.) Yummy....
    2.) If you find tuba embouchure easy, you're a far better man than I am. The few times I tried it back when I was a trumpet major, I found it awfully hard to stuff that much of my face into the mouthpiece.
  9. dhosek

May 25, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    Well on the other hand, I've never been able to get anything resembling music out of a trumpet mouthpiece. Hell, the trombone/baritone mouthpiece has its own challenges.

But fortunately for me, the piece that I'm playing on is a nice mid-tempo dixieland style. Hell, I've got time to breathe between most of the notes as its a 1-5 on 1 and 3 type bass line.