Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recording practices

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by B-NoteCowboy, Aug 5, 2005.

1. I guess many or even most band manager types do this. But if you aren't, you really should think about it.

I've noticed a lot of times, I'll hear something that isn't right during a song but don't want to break up the overall groove just to go over it at that second. Problem is that by the time the song is done, sometimes it's not always easy to remember what you heard wrong or where it was etc.

Plus if you have a lot of material to cover and someone needs to make minor corrections on their own time, you don't want to spend valuable band practice time going over the same bridge for 15 minutes.

Anyway, for our show - stage presence and some choreographed movements are vital to the integrity of our show and it's been amazing how much of a tool video has been for getting these elements right, and picking out bad tone in the mix, or other arrangement problems that aren't always totally evident when you are also focusing on your parts during a song.

Just wondered who else uses recording gear (audio and/or video) for every practice to review and critique like I do - or if I'm just a big obssessive perfectionist dork. Not necessarily mutually exclusive truths, mind you.

2. 4x4Given

4x4Given

Jul 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I would like to see some recommendations for a SMALL (handheld preferably), portable (AC/DC powered) and preferably stereo recording device that can be position in the "audience area" and provide a decent quality recording. Also, a "memory" based device is a plus.

Sorry, just wanted to interject that and kind of "piggy back" on the original question.

I'll sit down and be quiet now. :D

3. +1 on the idea of recording both practices and gigs. That stuff don't lie. We sounded like we were on speed during our last gig. The tempo was so bad!!!

Our singer usually brings his $30 radio shack tape recorder to practice. He sets up a mic in the center of the room and runs it into the recorder. Another digital option is running a mic into a USB adapter then into a computer. You'd need some kind of audio capture software at that point. The iPod has a voice recorder attachment which was intended for voice notes and stuff but that might work.

my 2¢

4. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Well, the Edirol R-1 comes to mind..... but it's got quite a price tag.

To do it "on the cheap" and still get high-quality results, Minidisc & mics is hard to beat.... but to convert it to MP3/WMA/whatever, you'll still have to play it "real time" into a (good) sound card's input....

5. The solution to this problem is the new Hi-MD, which is an evolution of the Minidisc. They aren't much more and you don't have to real time via digital/analog/digital to get it to computer. Straight digital, straight from the Hi-MD. Sweeeeet.

6. bigbeefdog

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    This is absolutely correct. And I've kicked around the idea of buying a Hi-MD for this very reason.

Trouble is (at least in my case), when we record practices or gigs, I can't really "attend" to the recorder while playing...... I just let it run, and end up with the track markers not aligned with the start and stop of the songs....

So I end up using one of my old MD recorders, set the recorder for "track marks every 5 mins" so I can jump around the disc later on, and break it up into "songs" later during the real-time playback......

7. 4x4Given

4x4Given

Jul 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Hey Beefdog, regarding the Edirol R-1, I've been looking at that. I would sure like to hear about someone's "real world" experience with one. I may start developing GAS over this... :D

8. bigbeefdog

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Yep, you and me both.

If that gadget had a remote control (so that I could position it for recording in the "sweet spot", and still control the track markers from where I'm playing), it would be perfect, and I'd have grabbed one by now....

Maybe Edirol is listening.... :D

9. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I use a mini-disc and record absolutely every gig, rehearsal, practice time, and everything else I can.

And by the way, it's a rehearsal, not a practice. I truly believe that it's incredibly, incredibly important to make a distinction.

Record everything.