Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recording problems

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Norwegianwood, Jan 16, 2004.

1. Hi!

I have a quite irritating problem. When I record bass on my computer, I get this clicking sound. I have a decent soundcard (maya44), so that shouldn't be the problem. And the signals aren't getting too loud. Got a clue what I'm doing wrong? I really like the basstone I get, so this sounds really annoys me. I've added a soundclip, so that you can judge for yourself:

2. Sounds like there's little pices missing. Does this sound happen when you playback the piece IN the program you use to record?

If not, it could be that the mp3 or conversion isnt being done properly.

also, check your cable and adapter to the sound card, if you use one.

3. Hi, yeah the sound is there also in in Cubase.
    And the loader the sound input is, the more clicks there are....I've tried changing all the cables and so on. And the sound DON'T come if I use a mic....

4. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    Are you using the 'mic' input on your soundcard for microphone and direct recording? I have no idea what it could be if you use the same input for both sources yet get clicks with one and not the other.

5. Yeah, the inline I use can function both as mic in(with built in preamp) and as a normal inline. I just switch it on the soundcard controller.

Thanks for the attention, anyway.

6. 20one

20one

Jan 10, 2003
    Abilene, TX
    There's a number of things that could be causing it... the first thought I had was cables and/or whatever setup you have to record onto your computer.

Try plugging your bass directly into the computer and see if it still happens (it'll sound like crap)... if it doesn't then it's a problem with your recording setup.

If it is your computer, then there's a number of things to try:

1. Make sure no un-needed programs are running while you're recording and always record after a fresh boot of the computer.

2. If you're connected to the internet in any way (dialup, cable, DSL), disconnect.

3. Try updating the drivers for your soundcard and/or reinstalling the software that came with your sound card.

Also look for a program on the web called "Ad-aware" (don't have the link handy)... I do alot of web surfing and my computer gets pounded with those stupid advertisement programs that hog up memory like mad.

Point is, the more you're computer is thinking, the more latency you're going to get while recording. Sounds to me like that's your problem... if none of this helps I'd look into buying a new sound card.

7. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    sounds liek a digital clocking problem. Definantly make sure the recording software is the only program funning at the same time. I have no other ideas.