1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recording Project

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Sapatown, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Sapatown

Sapatown

Sep 16, 2016
    Hey people!

I want to record me and my friend. And I sold most of my gear long ago. So Im kinda rusty in the recording department.

Its a spiritual project where the acoustic bass will play a major role. It have a jack output, and I will use it trough an interface; Presonus Audiobox 44vsl.
    The sound of putting the bass straight into the interface is a bit dull, lacking or to low in volume. If I push the volume on the Audiobox it will clip easily.

My questions:
    Will I need to buy a preamp, to put some gain on my acoustic bass better?
    Or do I need a DI box? Or both..? Will it just clip if I scoop the gain on the preamp too?
    Never used one of those in my homestudio so I have no idea about them.

I looked up some preamps, and it seems they can do alot of tone shaping and make the necessary gain/volume im after, before I record.

Will a preamp do the job? I will use effect pedals too, like reverb and freeze.
    I don't care for the post effects in the the DAW.

Maby I just need to work my fingers on the interface, and in the DAW a bit more.

2. rudy4444

rudy4444

Mar 13, 2012
    Central Illinois
    Running an additional preamp won't prevent clipping, and fiddling with the additional gain staging will only complicate your issue. Your interface already has as much pre as you need.

"Acoustic Bass" as in acoustic bass guitar or acoustic bass as in a string (upright) bass? In either case if tone is significant then any pickup that you use is going to be a compromise to that.

Whatever you use as an input the best way to get levels up and improve a dull tone is to do that in your DAW. Using a limiter plug-in will allow you to raise the overall instrument level and a simple high pass will clear up your muddiness issue.
    Pedals (IMHO) don't sound that good when you give them a critical listen. You may be used to what you use, but once you commit by using them on a recorded track you're S.O.L. if you want to change anything. I personally wouldn't limit myself by doing that.

As far as what's available as a plug-in verb, if you don't like the sound then you need a different plug in. Some of them aren't that good, but others are super. It's your ears, though...

3. Sapatown

Sapatown

Sep 16, 2016
    Its a Acoustic bass guitar.
    But thanks!

Then I will study the limiter/HPF etc. In the DAW.
    Eventually I will get the clipping problem solved. And regarding the tone, thats something I will work out with patience and experimenting.

4. Sapatown

Sapatown

Sep 16, 2016

Maby its better to mic the ABG?
    Maby run it trough an amp and mic it will be better.

I have an ampeg that I can run a XLR in the back and let it go trough the interface aswell.

5. Sapatown

Sapatown

Sep 16, 2016
    Post is a bit out of date, but I have an ampeg 810e cab, powered with a Ampeg PF-800 these days. And I can DI to my interface with an XLR from the back of my amp.

That should be good enough with mixing it I guess.

Maby I do need to mic the cab, but im out of dough tough, haha.

What mic should I get in that case?
    Is it necessary?

My setup is in a different town, with the homestudio.
    So I will try the DI for sure for this AGB.

6. Sapatown

Sapatown

Sep 16, 2016
    I got a SM57 and a 58 atm. But my guitarplayer/vocalist would need them while I DI the bass for our session next week!
    We like to play togheter :D