Recording question

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by emandell, Aug 9, 2004.

1. I've got a recording question - for my first attempt at recording my bass, I bought a cable to connect the DI-out on my Ashdown amp to the Audio-in on my Audiophile 2496 (i.e. an XLR->Audio cable) I connected it up and it seems to work but I am getting a really low level in my recording software (Cubasis),

Even when I use the Audiophile mixer (software utility) the levels coming in seem very low

I've used the DI-out to a board before and its worked fine.

Anyone have any ideas? do I need a mixer to boost the signal levels?
  2. Check the levels on the amp and your bass (you probably already have). But it could be an impedance issue. Check the settings on your Audiophile.
  3. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    There are two "standard" input levels, +4 and -10 dB. Usually the mixers take -10, while the sound cards take +4. That could be what you're experiencing. Check your sound card configuration, sometimes you can switch between the two input levels. Also you might be able to do that on your amp, I'm not familiar with the Ashdown, but for example some of the SWR's actually have level controls on the line out, or a switch that'll take you between line level and board level.
  4. According to the Ashdown web-site my amp gives out 600 Ohms balanced / Level -20dBu nominal, so thats probably the problem. I cant find anything on the documentation for the card on how to change the input level, would a mixer solve the problem?
  5. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    -20 dBu? That's a little odd. Why would anyone do such a thing? Oh well. Yes, a mixer will very likely solve the problem. Maybe they made it so you could run it into a mic input? Nah. :)
  6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Use the FX send or the tuner out, both have 0 dB.
  7. A mixer did the trick, thanks for the help
  8. I run mine through my Pocket Rocket headphone preamp then out to my Soundblaster 128 (into the mic input) and it gives the signal a perfect boost.