Recording question

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by mikgag, Dec 16, 2004.

1. mikgag

mikgag Guest

Mar 25, 2002
    So I run my bass into my Sansamp then into my amp. I have a XLR from the Sansamp DI to the board (Mackie 1604 VLZ). My live tone out of the amp kills, but when we record, anything on E and A comes through fine, but anything I play on D and G is virtually inauduble. I'm thinking I need to adjust the BDDI for more mids by turning down the bass and maybe compensating for my live tone with the EQ on the amp....correct? I REALLY don't want to go out and buy a decent mic and stand in order to mic and blend, not to mention I usually end up tripping over the mic anyways....
  2. Eldermike

Jul 27, 2004
    Use the parallel out on your dI, to your amp (not through they DI) and then you can use the DI to eq the recording mix.

Suggestion: Cut the lows, don't boost the mids and highs, reduce the imbalance in power distribution to the lower frequencies without using any boost at all, if possible.Then boost volume to the board to gain enough signal. Recording bass requires a slightly trebly sound. It's easier to mix out trebly bass than it is to reduce boomy bass in a recording. I like to go in that direction to make sure I can use it later. The parallel out is not affected by any of this so your amp should be making the same happy sounds.

But remember to set everything up with your bass volume at max and don't change bass eq settings while playing.
  3. mikgag

mikgag Guest

Mar 25, 2002
    I just got another suggestion on another board that might be the problem the more I think of it. I think I may need to adjust my pickup height on the D and G side...hmmm.....
  4. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    That was actually going to be my suggestion too hehe.