1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Recording - Rate My New Drummer!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Aug 24, 2007.

1. Yeah, he kicks major arse!

12 vote(s)
    48.0%
  2. Nah, not that great...

13 vote(s)
    52.0%
  1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Just a crappy recording from last night (low-fi) but give you an idea of this guy's drumming ability. Make sure you listen further into the song where he starts hitting the rolls, etc. Tell me what you think of him (and try to ignore the clams I made here and there :D ).

1st Practice with New Drummer

Edit: here is one more tune I just added from last night's first practice with him:

Nutha song w the new drummer

2. Muckaluck

Muckaluck

Oct 11, 2005
    Whitby, Ontario
    He could stand to tighten up on the cymbols in the verse and he sounds a little out at various parts but otherwise, for a first practice that guy definately sounds like a keeper.

You guys sound fantastic by the way! Love that old Foo song!

3. !Rob!

!Rob!

Mar 2, 2007
    Hey bud, being the first (and only so far) vote I kicked it up to 100% in the "Nah", but I would like to 'splain my vote.

You should have put a 3rd option of "good solid drummer" or something similar. That being said, my only option was to vote Nah, as I don't find he kicks major arse, so I had to go with the only other available option.

No doubt he's good, and has good meter...the recording doesn't do him justice as it sounds way too cymbal/hats heavy for my liking (I like tighter hats personally) also a fill every 2 bars doesn't do a lot for me.

Please don't fire him on behalf of my vote hehehe, he rocks :D

4. Quadzilla

OK, here is another from last night (the only other one I have uploaded):

Nutha song w the new drummer

And I TOTALLY agree with you on the loose cymbals during the verses in that first tune. I think he is going to work out, he just needs to tighten up a hair. He has not played in months and I think it's fixable... Thanks for the advice so far guys! Keep it coming!

5. rockwarnick

rockwarnick

Jul 29, 2006
    Rockville, MD
    Im not voting cause of the same dilema !Rob! has, hes in between. Good drummer, id keep jamming with him. Im just not a fan of his tone, mostly his cymbols. He could tighten up his hi-hat a little. In my opinion of course.

6. rockwarnick

rockwarnick

Jul 29, 2006
    Rockville, MD
    Having listened to the second recording I would definitaly say he is a solid drummer.

7. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Definitely not feeling his playing on the first track. The second is a lot better but he's a bit too 'cymbly' for my taste but then it's not my kinda music! He keeps good time though.

8. Quadzilla

Thanks again guys! Not many votes there (5 total). Keep them and the opinions coming!

9. m.oreilly

m.oreilly

Jul 5, 2006
    Ukiah, CA
    drummer: keeper

"vocals": carrots

10. deaf pea

deaf pea

Mar 24, 2005
    Cuernavaca 1 hr S Mexico City
    Seymour Duncan/Basslines SMB-5A Endorsing Artist
    I think that his first major fault is that he doesn't listen to the tempo that the guitarist is playing at before he (the drummer) starts playing . . .

and then when he DOES start playing, instead of playing in the actual "groove" of the song, he comes in on the hi-hats playing roughly TWICE AS FAST (16ths instead of 8ths) as I think he should be. A BETTER . . . or maybe I should say "MORE SOLID" . . . intro could be starting off with quarter notes . . . on the hi-hat and/or the kick drum . . . to help get things goings (but more "locked in"). IMHO.

IME, "simpler" is ALWAYS easier to "lock" with . . . especially if the drummer is "out of practice".

It DOES sound like he probably could work out OK for you guys. It would take a bit of work, though.

11. Quadzilla

Yup, the whole practice was a bit "looser" than what we are used to, but that is sort of expected with bringing on a new drummer and having a first real practice with him (I guess). Again, thanks guys!

12. !Rob!

!Rob!

Mar 2, 2007
    The second song is much better, his meter is good, and with so many meterless drummers out there this guy is definitely one to keep as long as his attitude is good.

As this was a first rehearsal, I would assume it only gets better from here....from experience I know that early rehearsals are always a little shaky as it takes time to "gel" and get used to each others "sound/groove".

As my Dad always told me "if this is how good you are on the first (rehearsal), I can't wait to hear you on the 21st"

Rock on guys.:bassist:

13. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Damn! You guys are rough on drummers. It's a crappy rehearsal recording, doing covers. I think the guy does the job excellently, and I'm sure he could do it even better under the right circumstances. If he's a nice guy I'd say you found yerself a keeper. :)

14. Quadzilla

Man, he (our singer) was very flat (for him) that eve. Agree on this too. He does have his off nights and this was one of them.

15. Feast

Feast

May 12, 2007
    Massachusetts
    heres my take, from what Ive heard, I know that this drummer knows how to play and can probably lay down a pretty cool beat. that being said, I just think that he should lay off the high hat (mostly in the beginnings of the songs) when he comes in with 16ths, IMO he should be playing 8ths.

nothing big or anything, he should just keep the hi hat down a little bit.

atleast he doesnt change time signatures every fill, like ive heard before, or slow down to almost cut time without even noticing it.

hes a keeper

If he can keep time, and helps you overpower the gui****, whats not to like about him.

Ill give it to you that the singer was having an off night,as our singer does sometimes.

16. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    IDK what deaf-pea is talking about (no offense), that drummer is awesome. He played it pretty much album perfect, except for the hats being open a bit much. It takes a hell of a drummer to play Dave Grohl songs. I loved the screaming during the quiet part before the last chorus. I was laughing out loud at the end with you guys. Great energy in a great song.

17. deaf pea

deaf pea

Mar 24, 2005
    Well, EXCOOOOSE ME! In my ignorance (not knowing the song at first) I was simply responding to what I HEARD . . .
    Now I'm realizing that all of you guys were just playing a popular Foo Fighters song, more or less EXACTLY like it was originally recorded (AND released, back in '97). And, after listening to the original FF version, I STILL stick by what I said . . .
    When the drummer first started playing, he DIDN'T enter at the same velocity (or "speed", or "tempo") that had already been established by the guitarist's intro lick. And the drummer on the original FF version DOES enter in a more subtle fashion . . . firstly accenting beats "2" and "4" on the hi-hats, then changing to the kick drum (or is it on the floor tom?) on those same accented beats "2" and "4" before doing a roll on the snare drum to bring in the whole kit playing the basic 8th note feel.
    BTW, it IS a "cool" song . . .

Yeah, that's what I was TRYING to say . . .

And I DIDN'T say that the drummer sucked . . . it's just that he wasn't LISTENING to what the rest of you were doing!

As I said "It DOES sound like he probably could work out OK for you guys."

Good luck, Quad . . .

18. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    Don't take it so hard pea, I wasn't trying to upset you. IMO you were taking issue with the way the song was written, not the way it was being played. No worries man.

19. deaf pea

deaf pea

Mar 24, 2005
    No problema . . . I'm not AT ALL upset . . .
    I guess that I really SHOULD get in the habit of using those "smilies" over there > > >

I hope that you can understand what I was talking about . . .
    My comments are more about the "groove" and "locking in" . . . for ALL of the players!

ESPECIALLY the drummer . . .

20. I'd say he's a keeper, especially if he hasn't played in months and that was the first practice. I know as a drummer too I lose a lot of my chops after a week of not playing. He seems to have a thing for 16th notes but overall his feel seems to be pretty musical, if a little busy at times. Tell him to lay off a little at the beginnings and build more throughout the song, but again for the 1st practice not bad.