Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recording Rates?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by fenderx55, Mar 19, 2006.

1. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    I work with a couple singer/songwriters (we're interns at an indie label), and they know I play bass because we spend most of the day discussing recording nerditry and such. One girl asked me what I charge to record, and I had no answer... I've never done any commissioned recording before. What should my answer have been?

Thanks,
    Chris

2. That's a tough question to answer. I own a small studio in Tempe, AZ - it's modest but nice. I charge $35 / hour, with discounts for volume of work, for any of my services - when I do it in house. Occasionally I'll get asked to record off site, as an engineer or a bassist, and I usually charge $40 for those types of situations, no discounts.

3. (from what I've heard) the Musicians Union states £80 an hour on average (but then again, thats british currency so...)

4. DrewBud

DrewBud

Jun 8, 2005
    Nashville
    I think it depends on what it's for. I don't do union stuff but play plenty of sessions and I basically charge $50 per song or $200 per day (limit of 10 hours/day). LOTS of people will charge more than that but I know the people I work with don't have major label budgets. That will change depending on who they are and how organized they are. If they want a rehearsal before hand that that's a little extra usually.