Recording Rates?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by fenderx55, Mar 19, 2006.

1. fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    I work with a couple singer/songwriters (we're interns at an indie label), and they know I play bass because we spend most of the day discussing recording nerditry and such. One girl asked me what I charge to record, and I had no answer... I've never done any commissioned recording before. What should my answer have been?

2. That's a tough question to answer. I own a small studio in Tempe, AZ - it's modest but nice. I charge $35 / hour, with discounts for volume of work, for any of my services - when I do it in house. Occasionally I'll get asked to record off site, as an engineer or a bassist, and I usually charge $40 for those types of situations, no discounts.
  3. (from what I've heard) the Musicians Union states £80 an hour on average (but then again, thats british currency so...)
  4. DrewBud

Jun 8, 2005
    I think it depends on what it's for. I don't do union stuff but play plenty of sessions and I basically charge $50 per song or $200 per day (limit of 10 hours/day). LOTS of people will charge more than that but I know the people I work with don't have major label budgets. That will change depending on who they are and how organized they are. If they want a rehearsal before hand that that's a little extra usually.