recording slap bass

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by small, heavy be, Apr 29, 2005.

1. small, heavy be

small, heavy be

Apr 25, 2005
    is there anything i should know about recording slap bass? i know how to record fingerstyle and pick, but which the more percussive qualities is there anything else i should be doing?
  2. Just keep a real close eye on your levels if you're not running through a compressor first. Slapping/popping I find can have widely varying levels.
  3. Kragnorak

Sep 20, 2008
    Hello all, I'm resurrecting this ancient thread because I have a few basic questions as well and couldn't find everything I was wondering addressed.

I'm good at bass but still assembling a home studio and new to self-recording. I've been sent a track to play on that calls for slap parts. In the past I've never used much in the way of compression but I've been adding a VST compressor to my track lately. It's also worth pointing out that I'm a very psychological player so even though I could apply effects to the track later I prefer to hear the effect right away.

So questions: 1) Even using a virtual compressor, is it worth it to get a compression pedal for the line-in? Are there any specific pedals that are good for 'pro' or 'stereotypical' slap tones?

2) Are limiters often applied to slap bass parts?

3) If I record micced and DI at the same time, are there different recommendations as far as getting each track to sound tight but punchy?

4. MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    Play clean and an even attack on strings.
  5. 1. For home recording the answer is "No".
    2. Yes. Limiters are applied for any types of bass parts very often.