Recording Software?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by brewer9, Nov 12, 2002.

1. brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    Which recording software is the best: Cubase or Cakewalk? or is there another program you recommend?

I want something thats easy to use but pro-quality.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I like Cubase SX best. Sonar doesn't really do it for me. I like the GUI of the new Cubase, and I need VST FX, VST instruments and rewire for Reason and ReBirth. Nuendo is cool too, but is lacking a little in the midi department.
    A lot of people used to swear by Emagic's Logic, but since they're MacOS only, most of them now use Cubase.
  3. LowEndRider

LowEndRider Guest

Mar 4, 2002
    Are you going to be sequencing or recording audio?

The software you begin with usually is the one you stick with as the layouts and methods in different programs vary a hell of a lot.
    I personally use Cubase for MIDI and Nuendo or Sequoia for audio (timecode locked).

4. My guitarist recently got Cubase. Its a good program, better than Cakewalk. It is You get what you pay for" Cubase is very quiet, no hissing etc. I found cakewalk crashed a lot. Even on top notch systems.

5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I'm loving Nuendo audio recording. Haven't messed around with midi much yet.
  6. brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    It sounds like Cubase is the one to go with, but just to clarify....I'll just be doing basic recording of Bass, Guitar, Keyboards, Vocals, and a drum machine (mostly). On a PC if that matters.
  7. The only ones I've used are Cakewalk (didn't care for it, but I didn't use it long either :rolleyes: ), and ProTools (no complaints...much better :D ).

I don't know what kind of bank you wanna lay down, but you can get a free version of ProTools off their website to try it out (not all the capabilities, but you can get the idea) get serious, you'll have to get the hardware to go along with it (I'm using the Digi 001 now...Digi 002 is on the list to get soon. :cool: )

Here's where to check it out:
    main page:
  8. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Cubase user here, although I am still using VST 5/32 and reluctant to upgrade to SX, mainly because I'm very happy with my Win 98 DAW and don't want to upgrade to 2k/xp.
  9. I'm using Cakewalk 9. it's pretty good, I've been able to do everything I want, except use the Plug-in effect's without recording the track first. I got the VST wrapper, so I can use VST plug-ins. I've never used Cubase.

If your just starting out, or just going to be using it to record audio and only a few tracks and whatever, probably just get the cheapest, or free stuff. if your really serious, you would probably be better off with Cubase, it seems to be more popular (as far as 3rd party support). Cakewalk seems more like the "home studio" type of software.
  10. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Here's the only vote for N-Track you'll see. not flashy. but everying you need to make a super awesome studio recording. for only around 50 bucks. Ive been useing it forever. never crashed once.
  11. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    I used Cakewalk Sonar exclusively for a year or so. It's still the best tool I've seen for MIDI IMHO, but once I tried Samplitude for digital audio, I never looked back. Easier for me to work with, and none of the stability issues I far too often would encounter with Sonar...

Haven't tried Cubase.
  12. MoTown

Nov 27, 2002
    I vote for N-Track. It has a very easy to use GUI and has a wide range of download formats. I have friends that use everything from Reason to ProTools. Tool complicated for a cave man like me. With N-Track I didn't even need a manual because it was just like using a real world track recorder.

The people who make N-Track are the same ones that use to sell Java-Scripts.
  13. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    Acid 4.0 looks absolutely brilliant. if it adds everything well that it says it adds (surround support, video support, VST, midi, etc...) then i think i'm going to switch from vegas 3 to acid 4 depending on how the video support is. i don't need the kind of stuff you can do with vegas video 3, but having all the basics would be great.

i'm a big sonic foundry guy though - seeing as how they're from madison too. gotta represent your home crew, y'know? but i wouldn't use it if it sucked...

i'm rendering my final video project as we speak on my desktop...poor girl. celery 433 w/256 meg of ram trying to crunch a 500 meg .mov file and a bunch of audio into an mpg. may be the last thing she does before moving onto that big surplus store in the sky...