1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recording solo bass

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by funkalicious101, Jun 1, 2007.

1. Hello.

When it comes to recording and recording equipment I have pretty much no knowledge on the subject what-so-ever.

But I am looking to record someof my looping-solo bass pieces.

Does anyone have any suggestiong for gear I should be checking out?

2. mikebass188

mikebass188

Mar 31, 2006
  3. First, if you plan on a computer-based setup, you'll need a recording interface.
    The Line6 TonePort UX2 would serve your needs well.

A solid DI is essential for recording bass:

A forum search on the MXR M-80 or Sansamp BDDI will turn up some good reviews...
    ART, PreSonus, and others also make good, bass friendly DI's...

A good kick drum mic will come in handy if you planned on micing your cabs yourself (as opposed to DI)
    The AKG D 22 is a good low-priced option.

(Keep in mind that, if you plan on using a mic, you'll need Stands and Cables as well.)

The above mentioned RC-50XL is the best of the big looper options...

Keep in mind also that a home recording setup can be as complicated or as simple as you want it, but also that spending more money on better equipment up front is better long term...:)

Just some thoughts...

4. What kind of looper do you use? One trick you can use when recording looped pieces is to record the raw and loop signals on separate tracks. You can have finer editing control if you have all of the raw tracks and you can, for the most part, even reconstruct your loops from the raw tracks giving you the ability to tweak levels and effects.

I use a MOTU 828mkII to record but there are many high quality recording systems that are probably much cheaper. Check out M-Audio.

- Dave

5. I use an electro-harmonix 2880, they arent very popular but i think its amazing.

it has a usb out, but im not really sure what that does........ sorry, im pretty much illiterate when it comes to recording

but i will check in to DIs

6. bassman951

bassman951

Jul 11, 2005
    I currently use a JamMan pedal in my setup by Digitech. I agree that the RC-50XL is an awesome choice, it just didn't exist yet when I picked up the JamMan :). The thing I like about the JamMan is the removable storage- I use a 1 gb card and it seems to be plenty, plus you can always buy more cards when you want more storage. What I do is I will write out either full songs or loops with Acid Pro and Fruity Loops, and I save the mono wav file, adjust the levels, and put it onto a track in the pedal. Then, when I want to perform solo material over my backing tracks or loops, it's all there! I even will make seperate tracks at times for intro/verse/chorus/bridge/ending and switch between them during performances. I just played a dub/reggae show solo last night using this type of setup, and I used tracks I wrote as backing tracks and played melodica, bass, requinto and trombone on top of them. So, to conclude, just pick the pedal and/or programs that will work best with what you want to do! The JamMan has worked out great for me :)

7. c_joseph_lier

c_joseph_lier

Aug 7, 2007
    A DigiDesign MBox is good too. I'm not sure if they still do it, but a few years back you could get an 8-track demo of ProTools with there Home Studio Recording tips book. I used that and a tube PreAmp, and did a demo. ProTools is easy to use, and editing is a breeze. There's my three and a half cents.

Joe

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 21, 2021