Recording soon, recommend string change?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by lildrgn, Feb 12, 2004.

1. lildrgn

Jul 11, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    In 2 weeks, I'll be going in the studio for 3-4 tracks. I'm thinking of changing strings but I don't want to have the bass all metallic sounding on the recording. Then again, I don't want to pop a string or have it sound dead. What do you frequent recorders do?
  2. I usually put mine on a week ahead. That way I can break them in a tad through a show and a practice before it's time to record.
  3. Introvox

May 21, 2001
    Ontario, Canada
    Definitely go with new strings, and work em in a bit (a bit)

You are best off giving the engineer as much quality signal as you can, remember that there is alot of EQing and Processing that can make a newly stringed bass sound wicked.

Also (and I can't stress this enough, as a bass player and producer)...triple check your intonation...nothing kills a good mix like and out-of-tune bass. I have (on several occasions) had to replace bass lines with keyboard bass.
  4. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I agree that you should change them as soon as you can. Not only will playing them for a couple of weeks help break them in, it will also take the rough edges off the strings. I've noticed that new strings can be a bit harder to play because there is more friction under my fingers. It usually takes a few weeks for them to smooth out. If you're playing in the studio, you don't want any outside factors to affect your playing.