Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recording soon, recommend string change?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by lildrgn, Feb 12, 2004.

1. lildrgn

lildrgn

Jul 11, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    In 2 weeks, I'll be going in the studio for 3-4 tracks. I'm thinking of changing strings but I don't want to have the bass all metallic sounding on the recording. Then again, I don't want to pop a string or have it sound dead. What do you frequent recorders do?

2. I usually put mine on a week ahead. That way I can break them in a tad through a show and a practice before it's time to record.

3. Introvox

Introvox

May 21, 2001
    Ontario, Canada
    Definitely go with new strings, and work em in a bit (a bit)

You are best off giving the engineer as much quality signal as you can, remember that there is alot of EQing and Processing that can make a newly stringed bass sound wicked.

Also (and I can't stress this enough, as a bass player and producer)...triple check your intonation...nothing kills a good mix like and out-of-tune bass. I have (on several occasions) had to replace bass lines with keyboard bass.

4. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I agree that you should change them as soon as you can. Not only will playing them for a couple of weeks help break them in, it will also take the rough edges off the strings. I've noticed that new strings can be a bit harder to play because there is more friction under my fingers. It usually takes a few weeks for them to smooth out. If you're playing in the studio, you don't want any outside factors to affect your playing.

JD