Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recording studio's...

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë, Apr 18, 2001.

1. Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë

Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë Guest

Feb 14, 2001
    Canada
    Has anyone here ever recorded anything in a major recording studio? If so, which one?

If my band ever gets a record deal, I would like to go record our album in MetalWorks studio in Mississauga, ON. Canada.

Its only a 45 min. drive from my house, i've been to their site (www.metalworksstudios.com) and the amount/quality of the equipment is very high. Many successful bands have recorded in there; The Tea Party, Limp Bizkit (shudder), Serial Joe, Len (shudder) and many others.

Anyways, if my band ever gets a deal, i'm recording there.

2. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Ummm... how major do you mean, exactly? I've recorded in Realistic, a studio owned by a band called the Real People - I'm sure that Finley Quaye recorded some stuff for his new album there. There's something (not a lot though!) at their site, www.real-people.co.uk - it's the option at the top right of the screen. (The text is slightly obscured)

3. BassicRob

BassicRob

Mar 28, 2001
    Massapequa, NY
    Its not exactly a major studio, it happens to be in my "friends" basement, but Rob Balducci records there at times. Probably because it happens to be his bassists studio. I wonder, is Anthony lurking here? You still owe us our demos, or at least what we have done so far :p

But as for "major" studios, or maybe "famous" is what you meant (?), I would choose Bear Tracks. I love the setting and the atmosphere, and yes, as an architecture student, I would have to comment on the architecture of the studio itself. :)

4. well, I´ve never been to a "famous" studio... but I´ve been in "Stúdíó Steinholt" and that was cool! :)

one thing though, don´t WAIT for the record deal to come... you´ll probably have to wait a long time! (not saying your band sucks...), just make a few calls and see if you can record there...

but then again, I know of course nothing about big studios...

5. Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë

Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë Guest

Feb 14, 2001
    Canada
    The only reason i'm not out looking for a record deal right now is that my band isnt quite done composing songs, i'm still in school, and i'm only 15.

My band and I are very confident in our music so far and we will probebly pay to get into a small recording studio to make a 3 song demo.

6. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Internal, I'm moving this to "recording" because you may get more replies there. I hope you do. YOu had an interesting question.

jo

7. I_Dream_Of_Bass

I_Dream_Of_Bass

Feb 8, 2001
    Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë,

I used to work in a relatively small studio, and I would offer one suggestion for you. See if you can intern at the studio. This will give you insight into the recording process and allow you the opportunity to really see the quality of the studio. You may also find out about other studios in the surrounding areas to record at.

Engineers are always looking for grunts to help out. Initially, you would probably just be rolling cables, cleaning up after bands, getting coffee for the engineer, etc. It may be a little difficult for you because of your age, but it doesn't hurt to ask. If the engineer allows you to intern, here are a few points I learned (the hard way!!):

At first, just be quiet and listen the the engineer, musician's, producers, and whoever else happens to be there. Don't offer advice and don't make suggestions.

If people ask you what you think about their music, find something good to say about it and don't take too long to come up with it.

Try and read some magazines or books regarding the recording process. When you are alone with the engineer, ask him some questions.

I first started interning at a studio because I was passionately interested in everything music. After about 1 year of interning and doing the sh*t jobs at the studio, I started to get to be the second engineer for sessions. I also started to get studio time in the off hours to record my own songs. I would definietly say that it was worth it.