Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

recording suggestions? tell me what to buy!

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Et Cetera, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Et Cetera

Et Cetera

Jan 24, 2002
    Madison, WI
    I've been working on expanding my CD and record collections lately. I've gotten a lot of other stuff, but no really great bass recordings. I'm trying to find some bassists who are more on the experimental side...but not really jazz. Something between classical and jazz maybe. Actually, I don't even know if what I'm looking for exists, but if you do, please let me know. ;)

2. There are so many! Here are some of my favourites: Ron Carter, Ray Brown, Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen, George Mraz.

Go to amazon.com and do some searches on those names. Ron Carter is one of my favourites - his sound is incredible, and IMHO he defines how the double-bass should sound. I recently discovered Patrice Caratini, almost unknown on this side of the "pond", but again a really great sound and pretty amazing technique.

Ask 10 different people for their opinions, and you'll get 20 different answers - that's the really great thing about all this - it is a continual learning experience.

Oh, by the way - I hate labelling music "jazz", "classical" etc. I think it leads in the wrong direction. As far as I'm concerned there is good music, and there is bad music (not an original thought, but true nevertheless - I've heard it attributed to Duke Ellington, and also to Frank Zappa...) - an idea which might provide an interesting discussion some other time...

Good Luck! I hope you find someone who will inspire you!

- Wil

3. Do you know François Rabbath, Renaud
    Garcia-Fons ?

Check out early recordings of Henry Texier.
    L'Orchestre de Contrebasses presents an amazing,
    varied discography.

Joelle Léandre is a fantastic soloist in jazz and contemporary music, worked with Cage, Scelsi,
    etc... made more than 50 records.

Robert Black is another solist acting in the contemporary scene. Anyone knows if he recorded
    Jacob Drucmann's "Valentine"?

Listen to Stefano Scodanibbio, recorded own works,
    music of Julio Estrada, duo with Terry Riley...

4. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    You might find things that I think you are describing on the ECM label. ECM specializes in experimental music, both label-able classical and jazz.

5. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Here's a link to a synopsis of the ECM saga: http://www.ecmrecords.com/ecm/history.html

Excerpt: Important players of all instruments have been well documented by ECM, with the roll-call of bassists, pianists and guitarists particularly comprehensive. All the great contemporary bass players have been showcased, including Gary Peacock, Miroslav Vitous, Dave Holland and Barre Phillips - all of whom have released solo albums - as well as Charlie Haden, David Izenzon, Malachi Favors, Eddie Gomez, Marc Johnson, Palle Danielsson, George Mraz, Kent Carter, Mark Levinson, J.F. Jenny-Clark, Stanley Clarke, Barry Guy, Chris Laurence, Bruno Chevillon, Anders Jormin, Arild Andersen and the influential electric bassists Steve Swallow, Eberhard Weber and Jaco Pastorius.

However, none of the eminent bassists mentioned by Gael are found on ECM...

6. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    ...or not

?

I have to wonder what you meant by that.

7. Robert Kopec

Robert Kopec Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2002
    Fair Oaks ,N.Y.
    DR String endorsee
    Check out some of Michael Formanek's recordings...
    ;)

8. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    ECM records have introduced me to jazz, in the mid 70's. They used to be in the "space jazz" bin, just next to "jazz-rock". Don Cherry, Charlie Haden, Keith Jarret, Chick Corea, Art Ensemble of Chicago, to name a few. The recording quality was so good; an excellent production overall, and an interesting story of an independent European label which was very influential in the end of the 20th century. Arguably as emblematic a record label as Blue Note of the 50's. However, IMHO and contrary to the quoted excerpt, this is not really the place for bass focused recordings (except maybe for Barre Phillips), and I think that Gael's listing offers a better primer.

Hope this in more clear.

9. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Salut Olivier.
    You seem to forget Eberhard Weber!
    His albums "Chorus", "Orchestra", "Pendulum" are quite focused on bass. (in particular Pendulum which only features bass, in multi-track recording)

Bonne journée! :)

10. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Salut François,

I'll check Eberhard Weber out when I have some dow. Which album would you recommend ? Merci du tuyau et bonne journée à toi aussi.

11. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Depends if you prefer his recordings with his group "Colours" or more solo-oriented.
    I myself prefer the group recordings, which are all good.
    The latest, "Endless days", was released about one year and a half ago, after several years of "silence". (his only records in the meantime were with the Jan Garbarek's group)

"Orchestra" is a solo work, with some winds (trombone, french horn, etc.).
    "Pendulum" is a solo work, with only bass. He uses sequences a lot.

"Endless days" could be a good choice, as it also features one or two solo pieces. The remake of his tune "The Last Stage Of A Long Journey" is particularly good.
    On the previous recordings, the horn player was usually Charlie Mariano. But on the last group record, before he switch to solo playing, "Later that evening", the horn player was Paul McCandless, whom I like a lot!
    Paul is the horn player on "Endless Days".

HTH!