1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Recording through mixer

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by DerTeufel, Aug 20, 2012.

1. DerTeufel

DerTeufel Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2011
    Wildomar, CA
    I already have the mixer set up for recording and I am happy with how the recordings sound. What I need help with is this: how can I make sure that the only thing going through the mains are the vocals? The sound level in our practice room is LOUD with everything going through the mains (it does sound good, though). I want to only have the vocals present in the mains while ensuring that everything gets recorded. I hope that makes sense to someone.

Suggestions please!

2. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    For what you're after, instead of using the mixer's main outputs to feed the control room/tracking room amplifier, feed the amp from an aux mix. But...

In your shoes, I'd much rather give everyone in the tracking room a headphone mix. Otherwise, you'll have performance level vocals leaking into all the mics in your live room. That can limit your options for sculpting all the tracks, and it compromises vocal overdubs.

3. DerTeufel

Nov 11, 2011
    Wildomar, CA
    I should have stated that the mixer is a powered mixer. There are no separate rooms. I'm not worried about the recording mix, I just want to pull the instruments from the mains while retaining the recording feed.

4. hgregs

hgregs

Sep 25, 2008
    ct/ny border
    send a full-band-aux-mix to the recorder, and let the mains handle the vocals.

5. derrico1

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    Well, whether you can do that with your particular powered mixer depends on its routing limits. What brand & model is it?

6. DerTeufel

Nov 11, 2011
    Wildomar, CA
    The mixer is a Yamaha EMX5000-12. I am recording via the recording outputs into my laptop.

7. derrico1

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    According to the manual, those recording outputs get their signal from the stereo bus. Since you want to send the internal amp and the recorder different mixes, this won't work.

Your OP says you already like the mix you're recording. If so, you could keep your current stereo bus mix to feed the recording outputs and select a different mix for monitoring at your amp's input selector (page 14 of the manual).

To create a vocal-only monitor mix for your rehearsal room, use one or both auxes and select either the "aux1-mono" or "aux1-aux2" setting in the power amp section (p. 14). If you use the "aux 1-mono" setting, only hook your speakers up to the Speaker A 1/2 outputs. If you use the "aux1-aux2" setting, aux 1 feeds amp A and aux2 feeds amp B. You can create two different monitor mixes for lead and background vocalists by hooking speakers to amps A & B.

8. DerTeufel

Nov 11, 2011
    Wildomar, CA

Thanks..I had been looking at the manual too and arrived at the same conclusion.

9. derrico1

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    “Hey, these [del]law books[/del] user manuals aren’t just for show. They’re chock full of useful [del]legal[/del] audio tidbits.” :bassist: </Lionel Hutz>

10. DerTeufel

Nov 11, 2011
    Wildomar, CA
    Trust me, I am a firm believer in RTFM. There were some things that didn't make sense to me in the manual (after I found the thing..the mixer isn't mine). Once I found the block diagram and followed the signal path, I arrived at the same conclusion that you did.

I do thank you for your assistance and patience.

11. derrico1

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    No problem, cousin. Glad you've got the thing working for you.