Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recording throught the soundcard?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by embellisher, Aug 26, 2001.

1. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

OK, I posted a thread a while back about recording from a cassette deck to the aux input of my soundcard.

I have a Soundblaster AWE64, and a nice cassette deck(Kenwood). I ran the Radio Shack 2 RCA to 1/8" stereo mini from the cassette deck to the AUX of my soundcard, but cannot figure out for the life of me how to select the AUX input so that I can record.

Can anybody help me?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Hm, what do you exactly mean with AUX?

Usually you use the line in.
    The line in should appear in your windows sound mixer applet (control center).
    Select the AWE for recording and play.
    Check the levels and put the sliders for sampling rate and acceleration on full.

If you can't find it, you may need to reinstall the drivers. Check the CL website for newer drivers.

www.soundblaster.com

3. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    what you want to do is to make sure that you have everything turned on... if you double click the little speaker on the bottom right bar in windows, then you can get access to all for this. If you select "Properties" from the "Options" drop down menu, you can select your AUX input. It will probably be the input that is labeled as Line. Also select the recording button on the top of the Properties box and select the Line. Make sure they are not muted, that is basically all you are doing here... Also, as a tip, I ended up runnning most of my computer recording strait to the mic input, w/ the Sound Blaster software, if it is anything like mine, then you have a little more control for the mic inputs than the line... But it you play with those properties, then you might be able to take care of it... let me know if it is something more than that....

4. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    The mic in is usually much noisier than the line in.
    And you won't need stuff like +20 dB boost since you operate @ line level.
    And I'd do EQing later with your audio soft instead of your soundcard's EQ.

5. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    If you turn the +20db boost of, you have a line input... the boost creates the noise. Most mike inputs still have more options than the line in If you are going to eq with your comp, you better have some pretty good recording sware. I would suggest an eq in the line, and basically use the computer to get the digital at the end....

6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I would go with line input, sorry to disagree, but mic inputs create unnecessary problems (like levels:D) best dealt with externally or later in software end of the process. Most software, Sonar, Cubase, Wavelab, etc. have great eq options that would cost thousands to replicate in hardware.

7. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Mic ins STILL are noisier. Most are mono only too.
    Most pro cards don't even have a mic in, like my Midiman Audiophile.

8. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    You are correct, high dollar equipment doesn't have mic ins, and probably don't have 1/8th inch... but if you are using a Sound Blaster, your options are the mic in and the line in.... When you turn off the boost for the mic, they are the same thing... and we are discussing a rig for a sound blaster. I have run these kinds of tests between the line in and the mic in on my soundblaster pci 512 card, looking for the best results. For arguements sake, I will include that I was using an Alesis studio 12r with an eq looped, and the outs running through a BBE and into the computer. With my setup, and the drivers provided, the mic in allows me more options and functionality than the line in does. There is no difference in the sound quality, and as previously discussed, you get the noise out of a) leaving the 20db on, or b) using crappy cables. If you are recording to a sound card that wasn't designed for this type of recording, then you are going to have drawbacks. That's why I clean the signal as much as possible before it gets the computer.

9. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Ok, it's just that it's common sense in all the pc audio forums I visit, that it's better to use the line in.
    It's also been said in almost all soundcard reviews I've read so far and I personally can confirm this for the Soundblaster Live: The mic in actually sounds audibly worse and is noisier than the line in, even with identical settings.

The reason for this:
    The mic in has a (cheap!!) mic amp integrated, the line in hasn't. So naturally that additional component adds noise, especially since it a cheap consumer (read: low) quality component (at least with older cards like the AWE 64).

But of course it can be different with the other SB cards. And, as always, use what works best for you.

10. I didn´t check if the doubt was already answeared but any way..

To activate the line in imput you have to look in the volume control properties.. there is a list of the different sources of audio, from which you have to select the ones you need.. Remember to select line in and to regulate the level not only in playback but in recording also, very important (the recording volume is the input amplification level) um.. yup..that´s it

11. phunky345

phunky345

Jun 20, 2000
    Missoula, MT
    I record a lot with my soundcard, and I would like to use the "line" input for recording, but it doesn't seem to work. I don't have "line" muted on either volume nor recording controls. When I play through the line input, I can hear my guitar/bass, but when I record with Cool Edit 2000, it doesn't pick it up. Anyone have a solution?

Thanks,
    Kyle

12. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Did you choose the right settings in Cool Edit?

In Cooledit Pro it's under:

Options...settings...devices

13. phunky345

phunky345

Jun 20, 2000
    Missoula, MT
    when I went into options/settings/devices, all I found was drivers I could use, unless that was what you had in mind. My drivers or whatever are all working, and I can record with the mic input, just not the "aux" or "line", whichever it is.
    thanks,
    Kyle

14. dytakeda

dytakeda

Jul 18, 2000
    Embellisher,
    How does the preamp from the tape deck work as a preamp for the soundcard? I just started messing around recording like this and ran into this problem of the instruments not putting out enough signal to drive the line in. The mic input works, but sounds like do-do.

The tape deck is a pretty clever solution. How does it sound though?

Thanks in advance!

15. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You didn't tell what soundcard you use.

Generally you need to set up the recording source via the windows mixer applet in the control center.
    It's default usually is mic in.
    You can switch the applet from playback to record settings and back.
    In most cases you can activate all sources for playback, but only one for recording (some can use the mixer as a source too, which means you can record 'all u hear').

16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

dytakeda, I didn't use the tape deck for a preamp. I have a 2 song demo that one of my bands made 9 years ago, and I was just wanting to make mp3s out of it(it's on cassette) so I could post them on mp3.com.

Everyone, thanks for the help. I used GoldWave with the LAME mp3 plugin, and the mp3s turned out great. Nice, clean and hifi sounding, just like the original cassette.

I am just waiting for mp3.com to approve them, when they do, I'll post an update in this thread with the link.

I used the line in on the soundcard, but was having problems with getting sound through it, even after installing the latest drivers. I've been wanting to reload my PC anyway, so I went ahead and loaded Windows 2000 on it. BTW, 2000 rocks!

17. dytakeda

dytakeda

Jul 18, 2000
    Very cool. I've dubbed cassettes onto computer (and then burned CD's) and they've come out OK. I want to do some vinyl, but that requires moving the computer into the living room next to the stereo. Yikes! I don't want to do it that bad.

I tried using the tape player's preamp to boost the bass' signal last night. Didn't work too well.