Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recording tip for newbies!!

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Gabu, May 3, 2001.

1. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Howdy guys,

If you are poor, or a cheap bastard, and want to record here is what you need (this assumes you have a PC):

Multiquence from goldwave. http://www.goldwave.com

and the Turtle Beach Montego II sound card.

The two of them together will cost you less than $100. I am able to record track after track on my PC, and it sounds good! I don't even have a line out... I MIC a small amp. If you have a good amp and a line out it will sound great!

Now get to it!! I wanna hear your albums!!!!!! :D

BTW, do not do this with a sound blaster!! You will not like the results. The sound blasters do not play and record at the same speed when playing and recording at the same time, so all your timing goes off. The Turtle Beach card does not have that problem.

Here's my super pro gear!! :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

This thread will be moved to "Recording Equipment" because I believe folks who go there will be more enlightened than here. However, I did enjoy the pictures and your advice, not that I will be recording anytime soon. There may be quite a few folks here, though, who will benifit from your suggestions and photos.

JO

3. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Or, you could get the Hoontech Soundtrack DSP24 value pack, with a 24 bit, 96 kHz professional quality recording card. Bundled with it is a special version of Emagic's MicroLogic. All this for well under $200, in the US at least.
    Beats the Turtle cards! :D

(And now when I have the equipment, all I need is some songs to record. :p)

4. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Let's hear em!!! :) Now that I am recording digitally.... things are coming out so much nicer. I have songs... all I need now is to learn how to play bass, guitar, drums and sing! :)

5. Much appreciated guys it was a question I was about to ask.
    The programs do they produce good quality sound?
    What programs go well with sound blaster live 4.01?

6. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    I don´t know... ask your Magic 8-Ball! :D

PS: I have one too!

7. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I almost bought one of those. The quality from them should be fairly decent. I use multiquence which I downloaded from:

http://www.goldwave.com

It helps if your amp has a line out jack. It is also a good idea to have a fairly fast computer and a fairly fast hard drive. (I would suggest at least Pentium II 400 and a ultra 66 hard drive)

8. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I believe I will scrape up some money (it'll take a while.. I'm in college ;) ) and take your advice. Just got a new Gateway that desperately needs a new sound card anyway. BTW, what kind of bass you got there?

9. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    It's a Orlando Violin Bass. I don't know the model but it is a Gibson copy. I took out the middle pickup and cut out a sound hole. Replaced the neck pickup with a Carvin guitar (not bass) humbucking bridge pickup. I filled in the slots on the head and sanded it down, then I drilled holes in the head so that I could have my machine heads come in through the bottom instead of the side. :p It's my monster.