Recording Tips

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by J.Trickle, Dec 27, 2001.

1. J.Trickle

Dec 27, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Watt, first off let me start by saying I am extremely impressed with your modest nature, and appreciation of your fans. So many bands/musicians could care less about the people who love their music, they're just there to play a set, make some money, get to the next gig asap, and act like its a pain in the ass just to say hello to their fans. You make an honest effort to connect with the people that come to your shows, and thats what I love most about you and your music.

Now to the meat of the matter. I have been doing quite a bit of home recording over the last year, but no matter how hard I try I can't get a decent bass sound. I've tried recording direct, several different mic placements, a combination of the two, and Im not pleased with the outcome. I'm trying to get some "oomph" to my sound, but it comes out very muffled with little punch, and when I try to compensate for the this the sound goes the other way and ends up very "plucky". I can't find a happy medium.

Equipment wise, I use a late 80s Fender Jazz, a Fender Pro185(i think) with a 4x12 cab, and a couple Shure mics. Its not top of the line equipment, but Im pleased with the guitar, drums, organ tones I get from it, so I don't know what to do. Any tips you can throw my way would be greatly appreciated. Keep up the good work, and have a happy new year!!

PS. Come back to Olympia soon, we love you up here!
  2. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

thanks for the good words and thoughts.

I think recording direct (w/out a mic) can get a good sound down. try to play even and consistent. now w/that done, add compression and eq to the bass track while hearing how it sits in the whole mix. a good bass sound by itself does not mean it'll sound good in the overall picture unless what you're doing is a bass solo! the compressor can make things punchier and fatter, the eq can help the bass find it's sonic place in the mix. experimenting w/these things can help you learn by doing.

hope this helps.

on bass, watt