Recording to laptop

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by kayup, Nov 30, 2004.

1. kayup

Jun 3, 2003
    Cardiff, UK
    hello, hello.

How can i record live bass onto my ibook? would i just need some kind of audio interface to plug into and some wave recording software? Any recommendations? If it makes any difference, it'll mainly be used in reason 2.5...

2. NNbassest

Nov 4, 2004
    from what i hear, you need a good recording program, my personal favorite is Acid Pro. then you can go to Radio Shack and for about 5 bucks u can buy an adapter that makes yourr amp cable plug the size of a standered walkman head phone jack.

im pretty sure this should work,
    JJ :bassist:
  3. With an ibook, there is no input. so you need to buy a USB audio interface.
  4. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    This is simple. We go out of our mixer's (4) sub mix channels to a submixer that squeezes it to a stereo signal into a USB Imic and into Garageband. Used correctly Garageband is a great little tool.

Is it for demo purposes? We use ours for songwriting and demos. We actually recorded our last live show like this and are pressing it for release. It's pretty damn good. The secret is micing.
  5. Big +1 on this one. when recording ANYWHERE micing is the key (unless your going direct)
  6. kayup

Jun 3, 2003
    Cardiff, UK

I was mainly planning on using it for electronic stuff - have you heard of squarepusher? Kinda like that... mixing live basslines and solos with programmed drums and synths. Just started using macs so don't have much of a clue yet...
  7. Eldermike

Jul 27, 2004
    I would go with the USB audio interface suggestion.
  8. I'm looking for a book that would have 8 inputs, preferably with XLR and preamps. I have Firewire and USB on the laptop.