1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recording to my computer using DI

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by greekorican, Mar 24, 2009.

1. greekorican

greekorican

Mar 12, 2009
    My amp has a direct out jack and I am wondering if I can plug into my computer to record my playing. Is this possible? And if so, what kind of cable do I need?

Thanks

2. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    I plug directly into my Mac with just a 1/4">TRS 1/8" cable, works like a charm. At first I tried a special 1/4">USB instrument cable but that didn't sound very good and created some issues with compatibility. Try the simplest method first before buying something unnecessary. ;)

BTW, GarageBand is a great recording program that is included with Macs, just saying, if you still live in Bill Gate's world. :D

3. greekorican

greekorican

Mar 12, 2009
    I don't have a mac, but I also don't live in Bill Gates world. I use linux. I wonder if there is anything like garage band on ubuntu.

4. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    I use Bass>Summit TD-100>Fireface 800>Mac>Mackie 24-8 mixer>Mackie HR-824 Monitors. I listen through headphones when tracking so as to not stress monitors. i use Paris or Garageband or Bias Peak or Logic Express.
    Never had this excellent a sound right away. Full bass no distortion just the real deal. Play as hard as I like real bass sound.

5. NickRich

NickRich

Oct 13, 2008
    Quebec, Canada
    On linux, I use Audacity. I plug the headphone out from my Boss ME-20B in the line-in of my sound card. Due to impedance mismatch, it sounds low, but I use the build-in compressor in Audacity to level-up thing.

It works great for recording riffs that I would loose otherwise.