Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recording to my Mac PowerBook?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by JoelT, Mar 25, 2001.

1. JoelT

JoelT

Aug 7, 2000
    Hi,

I'd like to have a simple recording setup so I can practice lines and do some general looping (without buying a Boomerang). I have a Mac G4 PowerBook and just bought a Telex P-500 USB Digital Audio Converter and a mess of cables/adapters from Radio Shack, including what looks like it should connect the Balanced D.I. output on my SWR Workingman's 15 to the Mic In on the Telex unit.

So far, I haven't been able to get anything through the Telex Line In (which is what the Mac calls it). When I try to start Pro Tools Free with the Telex hooked up, Pro Tools stops loading with a DAE error. Another program, a Sound Sculptor II demo just doesn't seem to record anything through the Telex Line In. Both Pro Tools Free and Sound Sculptor record using the internal mic on the PowerBook. A CD came with the Telex unit, but it appears to only be for Windows, and the Mac does seem to recognize the Telex unit when it's plugged in. When I go to the Sound Control Panel in the Mac it doesn't register anything on the Telex Line In when I try to check the level. It almost appears that the Telex isn't working properly, but I'm guessing it's something in my setup instead.

So I'm not sure if I'm just hooking things up incorrectly, or setting things incorrectly in the PowerBook, or just approaching it the wrong way entirely. ;) Any suggestions? Is there something simple I'm missing?

Thanks,
    Joel

2. JoelT

JoelT

Aug 7, 2000
    Well, I've done a little experimenting and the problem appears to be either in the Telex unit or the setup of it. I was able to go from the amp into my Windows 98 system using the Sound Blaster card (albeit with a lot of distortion). It also worked on the same machine using BeOS (albeit with quite a bit of static).

When I installed the Telex unit under Win98 I was able to use the headphone jack but the Mic In didn't do anything. I'll send a message to Telex support and see what they say.

Update: According to Telex support it isn't going to work because the amp's input is too high for the P-500 and might blow it. I don't know if it's blown or not, but at this point I'm using it for a more convenient headphone adapter on my Win98 box (much better than reaching around the back of the tower).

So the search for a way to record to the Mac continues.

Joel