recording tone question

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by CaptainHueso, Dec 12, 2004.

1. I'm looking to get a bit thicker of a sound on recordings. First recording I did was in a really nice studio. Ran the bass directly into the board and, what we ended up with was really thunderous. All lows, nothing else. Can anyone reccomend any equipment or methods that would get a sound that is thicker, with more mids and clarity? I'm convinced the problem isnt the bass, because I can get the sound I want when it is amped. Thanks.
  2. Set the tone controls on your bass to wide open so that you are not cutting any frequencies.

Make sure that your bass is going into a quality direct box or a DI-equipped mic pre or DI-equipped channel strip on the board or your favorite instrument pre.

At that point you need to get your signal to tape or computer in the shortest way possible.

To thicken you can mult the DI output to a second channel (with changed EQ, compression, filtering, etc.) and/or re-amping the original track and/or mic'ing your cab and blending with the DI at the board.

Lotsa options.
  3. Try getting a real clean sound recorded, like KOA suggested, and then play with EQ until you're satisfied. I'm thinking you might be lacking in the low-mids, by your description, but if you're more specific about your desired sound (i.e. "Thunderous" can mean different things to different people) you might be able to get some more specific answers as to how you should EQ.
  4. Eric Grossman

Eric Grossman

Nov 3, 2004
    St. Louis
    Endorsing Artist: Hipshot Products and SIT Strings
    Pick up a Sans-amp. Every producer I've worked with in the last seven years, has used them.
  5. Although this is all good advice, there's really no substitute to miccing your cab if you like the sound you get from your amp.
  6. Thanks for the replies. I'm considering getting a Sansamp, either the DI unit or the whole rack preamp. I hear they sound better than alot of tube units. As far as being more specific about tone, by thunderous I mean that all you can hear often is lows. Similar to a car stereo you would hear going through the city with gigantic subs in the back. Not a whole lot of color. I like alot more low mids. Some growl to the sound. I normally boost my mids all the way. I prefer my sound to be on the "hi-fi" sound. Rather than just sit there unnoticed in the mix, I like the bass to almost be a soloistic or melodic instrument, rather than a foundation only. Hope that helps.
  7. I misread, I thought you said thunderous was what you were after. I must have been tired. :) Sorry about that.
  8. you mic your fingerboard? never heard of that.