1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recording vocals....

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by (b)Assman, Sep 14, 2008.

1. (b)Assman

(b)Assman

Jun 22, 2008
    Champaign, IL
    Not really sure if this forums applies to vocals but meh...

My voice sounds fine coming out of the amp but anytime I try to record it through my computer or built in webcam audio it takes on horrible tonal qualities. I've tried to edit them out but I can't figure it out. Is it my mic? It's a live mic so maybe it's not a good recording mic?

2. Hey neighbor, recording vox is a whole art unto it's self. I have several different mics and techniques for recording vox as well as several diffent spaces I use. Because I don't have the greatest mics I generally use a combination of a dynamic mic close and a large diaphram condenser about a foot back @ eyebrow level. The right combo depends on the vocalist and what s/he has as their preferred mic. I either have the singer sing into a book alcove in my house or I sometimes use a small bathroom as a vocal booth, but have also simply set the mics up in the center of my living room which has very little slapback.

3. (b)Assman

(b)Assman

Jun 22, 2008
    Champaign, IL
    A good live mic doesn't mean it'll record the same way or good correct?

Thanks for the info.

4. Lat me qualify that a bit, all of the vocalists i work with have spent time finding the mic that works best for their voices live, some of them have spent a lot of money and others use the standard SM58. I find that combining that mic with one of my large diaphram condensers in an appropriate space can get a good recorded vocal. Perhaps not "state of the art" but damn good.