Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recording with a 400RB

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ryan morris, May 26, 2005.

1. ryan morris

ryan morris Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Does anyone know if the 1/4" line out of the older Gallien-Krueger 400RB (m1) is pre or post eq? Maybe someone has a block diagram for one or something..

Thank you in advance, Ryan

2. throbgod13

throbgod13

Mar 26, 2005
    Texas
    i think it's post-preamp..

3. ryan morris

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    that's kind of what i'd assume too.. i know it's an un-balanced out.. at 500mv into 600 ohms..

I'm at a toss up between this amp and the older Hartke 3500.. (i know the new HA3500 met my needs good before).. It's just the tube, comp and balanced xlr of the Hartke vs the super light weight straight up GK.

4. throbgod13

throbgod13

Mar 26, 2005
    Texas
    i just bought a GK 400RB (newer one) in a pawnshop for 225 flat.. i found a Hartke 3500 in another pawnshop for 250.00.. i skipped on it, due to the reviews of the Hartkes..

apparently, the compressors just don't work.. a friend of mine bought a 5000, and i KNOW that it doesn't really work at all with his..

and the tube tone is only slightly different than the SS tone.. it's different, but not much different..

and apparently, the power section of the amps fail.. alot.. they just give out..

this is just what i've read, and some of what i experienced with playing with that 5000..

i can't argue with the XLR out on the Hartke.. and the graphic eq on them.. that is nice.. they should make the sliders a little more rugged, every used Hartke has one or two broken off..

i'd really rather have a tube Ampeg.. but i just couldn't afford one..

the GK was the right price, and has a really decent tone..

5. ryan morris

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    BRAND NEW HARTKE HA3500's FOR $300 (shipping included) ON ZZOUNDS.COM.. this only adds to the confusion..

6. throbgod13

throbgod13

Mar 26, 2005
    Texas
    if you want the Hartke, get it..