Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recording with a band?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by SlavaF, Aug 21, 2003.

1. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    When it comes to this subject, I am really lost:(

Anyway, my band has suddenly found the need to record some of our stuff. We have made up a couple songs, and we would like to start recording them, because then we can start to really make up a bunch of stuff without forgetting any of it. The unfortunate bit is that we're on a "tight budget" (translated than means dirt poor) and so we don't exactly have a lot of room to play with this stuff.

So what I'm asking is, what is needed to produce decent quality basement recordings at rock bottom prices, and what brands to look for.

PS would one of those BOSS 1180CD doohickey's work? or can we get into decent recording for less that $1500 Canadian?

Thanks for the help, and I did search and all I found was recording samples of bass playing to PC's...

Slava:) :bassist:

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    If all you need is rough recordings to keep track of arrangenments and such, just use a cassette recorder (or a minidisc if you have one).

There's a big jump ($$$$) from that into multitrack recording for demos.

Oh yeah, the way to "make up stuff without forgetting it" is to play it often enough that it's second nature :cool:

3. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Damn, I used to have a MD player, and then I sold it for 100 bux... but it was one of the first ones they came up with so it probably wouldn't have worked well.

Anyway, we'll probably get something like a cassette recorder for now (and play more, but our guitarist had a day camp all week) and then get into the more expensive stuff...

Thanks for the advice!:bassist: