Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recording with a Schroeder Mini 12?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tendollarcat, Mar 11, 2006.

1. I'm currently recording an EP with my band. We've been gigging fairly seriously and are now using one of the best studios in the area with the ultimate goal of some airplay and bigger gigs.
    I have a Schroeder Mini 12 as my only cab. I love everything about it in a live situation. It has punch and clarity and sounded amazing in some pretty big venues. We are a 3-piece acoustic folk-rock band and I tend to play funky fingerstyle through a Moses Custom Jazz.
    I was pretty confident going into the studio. My tone is pretty clean and well balanced. I have an SVT -3Pro and a GK 800RB so most bases were covered.
    The bottom line - Our engineer thinks the tone is purely low-mid frequencies delivered with lots of punch. He's has problems getting true low-end frequencies into the mix and has suggested I either get a 4x10 or add a cab to my Mini 12.
    The engineer is excellent. He's delivered great results so far and has even isolated my tracks to show in Pro-Tools where it lacks for both heads. I'm sure he's not being a studio jerk!
    Has anyone recorded with a Mini 12? I'm a huge Schroeder fan so I'm after suggestions to maximise my rig for both gigs and the studio. Should I add a forward facing 12 inch cab? Add a 2x10? A 15? Get another Schroeder?:bassist: What goes best with a Mini 12? Any cab brands and types that you recommend will be appreciated. I'm thinking EA, Epifani or Accugroove but can't get access to any in Australia to try first. I'm trying to stay lightweight so under 45 pounds if possible.

Thanks.

2. I am awaiting del of Jorg,s new mini 12 + model that is a front firing 12 He said that it is more nuetral and DB friendly. The proto was out on the road with Brian Augers band and got rave reviews. It might be more suitable for studio work

Hope this helps

Peace

3. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    I assume you've tried different mic's (with more bottom end)and blending in a di signal with the schroe's tone? Seems hard to believe you can't get the missing lows happening with a combination of those two. If you are already using a di/mic blend, check they are in phase. Is the cab being close mic'd? Proximity effect on directional mic's can add a lot of low end.

I'd put my time into these areas before thinking about replacing a cab that I loved.

4. Th entire Schroeder line is very 'mid present', so I assume the mini would be the most mid present, given its small size. However, per above, if an engineer can't get enough lows by a combination of direct to the board and mixing in a little of your cab for punch and warmth, get another engineer!

5. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    That's where I was. I wondering when somebody was going to say that.

Your cab is there to capture some of Your personal sound. But, the engineer should also be taking a DI to capture whatever else he thinks is needed. You should suggest this to the engineer before chasing another cab.

:bassist:

6. Thanks for the suggestions guys. The rig is running through a DI and is being close miked. I suspect my tone is different to what he is used to. I think it remains a work in progress.

I would point out, the Mini 12 is going nowhere! I've spent 15 years dragging quad boxes around - I'm not being suckered in to buying a big heavy 1x15 and a 4x10:D

If for arguments sake, I was looking to add a cab to the Mini 12, what would you suggest? I must stress - this is for me on bigger stages - not our engineer. The engineer will go waaay before the mini 12.

I was wondering about adding a EA 1x12. Or I'd also be interested in a 2x10 or something funky from Accugroove, LDS or Epifani. Any opinions? That said, if Schroeder is building a front facing 12 or 2x10, I'll be a happy man. As far as I'm concerned, Jorg Schroeder is a class act. Anyone tried these sorts of cab combinations?

7. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    What kind of mike are you using? A D112 or D12 will always do the trick.

8. If you like the Schroeder sound in general, a 1210 would be wonderful for you.... very punchy but with plenty of bottom, and still quite small. It's a great stand-alone cab. I'm not sure if you would need an 8ohm cab.. the 1210 is 4ohm. I believe you can get the 1212 in 8ohm... nice cab, and even more bottom than the 1210, but not as punchy. It would probably be a GREAT second cab to your mini, but probably not your sound for stand alone. With a 1210, you could use the mine for smaller gigs and the 1210 for larger.

9. The engineer should be able to get a sufficient tone from the DI line by itself, the mic'd line should just be for a bit of extra character.

Otherwise, just boost the bass on your amp or bass eq?

Also, you could try mic'ing a bit further away or add an ambient mic, which will give the low end sound waves a chance to actually develop properly before reaching the mic.

10. The new mini is a front firing sealed cab design. It is suppose to have a more rounder sound and "kicks like a mule" were the words used to describe its tone. It was shipped today I will post a review asap.

Peace

11. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Ohhhh....I like the idea of this new mini

I'd have to buy a small poweramp for it to go with my mini12+airhead walkabout combo.....but a mini stack would be funny as hell and probably sound damn good

12. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Several things that come to mind:
    1) what kind of mike is he using? I perfer something in the "mega expensive Geramn big diaphram line," as opposed to the "cheap sm57 line."
    2) what kind of amp are you using, and can you eq some more 40-100hz in there?
    3) Might try some flatwounds?
    4) Make sure your right hand technique is gettting a lot of beef on the strings, and play way towards thing fingerboard for more beefy tone.

I find no lack of low end in my Schroeder cabs, but it's not as naturally present as in say and eden xlt...you may have to eq some in.

g'luck, and report back.

13. Thanks Mark. I'll be very interested in this. With a mini 12, it would make a modular 1212:bassist:

14. Hey Chef,

I must admit I didn't pay attention to the type of mic. It was a condenser and if the vocal mics are much to go on, it may well have been decent.

If I'm honest, I think I was a bit too easy going on these tracks. Our first tunes were requiring pure, in-the pocket grooves so I was willing to sit in the mix a bit. I'm bringin the funk on the next batch so I'm pretty determined to get my tone down:D
    Thanks for your ideas. The flatwounds may be an option. I've been gigging for 15 years and never tried them.

15. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I think part of the problem, maybe, with micing the mini is the angled woofer and not getting a mic in the right position across the cone. can you remove the grill?

also for your second cab check out an aguilar GS112 or gs112NT (no tweeter) I think the mellow fat sound of an aggie would go great with the punch and mids of the mini. :hyper:

16. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    If you like your tone and the way it sits with the band flats might not be the way to go, you'll get a very different sound. That said if you've never tried them then it's good experience.

The issue of other cabs for big stages aside, the 'missing' bottom end really should be available from the di. What does the di sound like solo'd? There's not a low cut filter engaged somewhere in the signal chain is there? If the bottom end is there with the di but disappears when you blend in the schroe double check the phase.

If there's still no bottom end on the solo'd di then your bass just isn't producing it, in which case you might want to experiment with the on board eq (or on the amp if the di is post eq), different technique or even try another bass for a reality check.