Recording With Alembic Rackmount

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by IvanMike, Feb 16, 2003.

1. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    For what it's worth
    I've recorded with eden and swr xlr out as well as with the counryman di and a high end peavy preamp which is supposedly aa knockoff of the uri
    I just put down a few tracks in my guitar players studio (too much equipment to list but he's loaded so think high end and $$$)
    I used my alembic f1-x preamp with the alembic superfilter in the loop
    everyone who hears the completed songs tells me this is the best sound i have ever gotten to tape - not an endorser here, but i have to agree
    I have all the tone controls on the preamp on 10 (which actually produces a pretty flat eq with a slight low mid scoop) and keep the deep and bright switches off
    my 86 tobias actually has a lot of low end from 40 hz down to 10 hz so i use one of the superfilter channels in hi pass mode set to cut below 120 hz with a very narrow damping ratio
    the second filter is run in band pass mode at 80hz with the damping ratio set at about 9 o'clock
    this is identical to my stage sound and needs little to no eq on the board
    it also gets mixed down going through a dbx 1066 compressor which seems to tighten it up a bit without squashing the tone
    anyone else have similar bliss with alembics in the studio?