Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recording with Bass 400

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chaosMK, Oct 6, 2005.

1. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I am going to be recording a demo pretty soon and would like to use my Mesa Bass 400 for it. I havent tested it out yet, but have read a few times that the direct out on it is pretty dirty sounding, and essentially unuseable. Any one have experience with this or know how to get around it? I can always fall back on my Sansamp for recording, but its just not the same.

2. Its an all tube amp, so either way your going to have to have speakers connected to it when its on, so why not just mic it up ?

3. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    If the 400 is anything like its precursor the D-180 or its successor the 400+, it will have a Slave Out with a volume control on the back. I know someone who recorded with a 400+, the engineer mixed the Slave Out with a direct signal from the bass and it sounded quite good.

4. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Cool. I will probably end up getting a mic for recording, and for my own purposes. I dont know much about this stuff, but could probably run quite a few signals in with a Y pedal (direct, BDDI, line out, mic). If this ever comes through I'll post it up.

5. I just finished recording with my Mesa 400+. I used it with an Ampeg 8x10, which was miked on the speaker, and another mike a couple feet aways. And then we used a Countryman D.I. plugged into my Stringray 5 for for the direct out.

Hope that helps.

6. technik

technik

Oct 27, 2004
    Jakarta, ID
    what kind of mic did you use for the recording? Is it really much different if you use the XLR behind the 400+?

7. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I have recorded on sevral occasions with my 400+. I first tried the slave out, and it sounded dirty and horrible. Then I tried it with the DI and it sounds pretty great to my ears. You need to tweak the EQ a lot and have the master up more than the input.