Recording with Cakewalk and......

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by chadrock, Feb 3, 2005.

1. chadrock

Dec 22, 2004
    Okay, dudes, as far as settings on my actual bass, and on my crappy lil' peavey amp..... let's just say that I am not 100% sure WHERE I would like those settings to be... and it is hurting our recordings. The bass comes across as way TOO deep and so we just turn it down in the mix, which really sucks (I am NOT playing bass to NOT get heard). Originally, I plugged into 'low-end', but recently have discovered that 'high-end' dosen't give me all that muddiness that I despise, but I tend to lose a little 'pop' in the higher strings. I play a fender mb-5, 5-string bass, with a volume knob, and two more, for pick-ups. My question is: does ANYONE have any advice for recording a clean, yet fully vibrant bass tone in regards to amp or guitar settings? Getting a new bass is high on my priority list, but in the meantime I would love to try out some of your suggestions........... :help:
  2. Gomex

Jan 7, 2005
    I would suggest getting rid of the amp all together and just recording clean into the desk with all your tone settings up going through a DI, some of my best tones have come this way, plus it's easier to tweak the eq after you have the track recorded.
  3. Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    How are you recording? Mic or direct from the amp? (if it has DI - probably not)

Mids are where it's at. Try cutting some bass and boosting some mids. It may not sound as great when playing alone, but it'll make your tone cut through the mix better.

I'm sure some more experienced members will have some better advice.
  4. chadrock

Dec 22, 2004
    are you saying tone settings ALL the way up?? I am a fool.... but what is DI?? thanx
  5. chadrock

Dec 22, 2004
    usually, it is mic'd..... lately we've been doing it direct :spit:
  6. DI = direct input

IMO, basses never sound as good DI as when you're going through a nice amp, which is why you have to do at least EQing to it. Maybe get a bass modeler VST and use that to work with your bass tone.
  7. chadrock

Dec 22, 2004
    if any of you have any personal experience recording with this type of program...... what settings do you prefer specifically? :eyebrow:
  8. DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    which Cakewalk program are you using?

personally i mic a cabinet when possible, i dont care much for the way my DI boxes sound running straight into the recording mechanism.
  9. lowendgod

Feb 25, 2004
    Yakima, WA.
    i generally do a d-i out of my amp and then also a mic on my cabinet which probably gets a 35/65 mix with the cab being a little louder in the mix...

if for some reason i dont want to mic my cab (or 3am) i use the sonic foundry acoustic mirror with the beamsonic test files (this guy modeled some fascinating equipment) i throw on the ampeg files and go... if i go this route i plug my bass directly into the computer...

at the new namm show ampeg unvailed they are making a d/x or vst plug of there awesome amp that is totally programmable :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

10. Acoustic Mirror might work. Personally I use Amplitude or other similar modeller. Can't wait for Amplitude 2 (preview of it was at NAMM).
  11. DougP

Sep 4, 2001

I think thats the new Ampeg and Amplitube combined product. i hope they make a demo available for it.