recording with effects

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by joec, Apr 30, 2002.

1. joec

joec Guest

Apr 28, 2002
    Columbus, OH
    im gonna be recording fairly soon, and i was wondering if there may any tips as to what delays and reverbs would be best, and what overdrive would work best. Since this recording is being done by myself and my band, does anyone know as to what the saying means when u either run up the side, or right down the middle when you are recording? what do u think would sound best, givin working with a 16 track, moniters, and what is basically a mini-studio?
  2. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

I am not sure what you mean by wht delays and reverbs are best. Do you mean what units, or how to set them up?

As for overdrive, whatever you use, mic the cab.
  3. the best result is to record clean and then apply effects afterwards. doesn't work for all effects tho..
  4. Mohawk Freak

Mohawk Freak

Mar 8, 2002
    I second that!!! The cab response to overdrive is crucial to the sound. As for the rest of the effects, find out what works for you. The phaser I love may sound terrible with your bass/head/cab/technique/style etc. You really should work that kind of thing out well in advance!

When in our studio session last year the engineer was adamant that you record with the effects (except for reverb whch was added with a reverb plate, and possible tricky delay)
  5. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    I would say that any eq and gain device (including wah's and compressors) should be present during tracking.

Time based effects (reverb delay chorus) (not that I would put reverb or delay on a bass) (one exception) should go down after if you must use them. The exception is that if you are looping a bass line or 'bowing' in long sustained notes. You need that when tracking.

Personally I try to use as little effects as possible on all of my recordings. Also I work in admin in the motor trade so what do I know?