1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

recording with gk artist heads

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mangl, May 2, 2006.

1. mangl

mangl

Jan 23, 2006
    howdy!!
    for the past few weeks ive been recording at home with a 16track and my gk. 1001rb.
    i rekon ive got pretty good ear but as i was using the direct out jack on the head, i was playing with the settings on the head, and didnt notice a difference being sounded by the direct out at all.
    i was wondering, is the direct out literally direct? meaning no sound shaping or anything whatsoever? or is it really just my ear?
    i can hear the settings changes when im playing through my cab, but just not on the 16track after having recorded using direct out.
    do people record using a line/direct out, or do they mic up their cabS?
    :bag:
    cheerios

2. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    That's what the amp's pre/post switch is for...it sends a choice of direct signal or one with EQ and volume settings up to some point in the circuit. Check the block diagram in the manual to see what's included in the post.

In general, use the pre setting when sending a direct signal to the PA. That lets the sound guy EQ for the house, rather than having to adjust you stage/cab EQ. Sending pre also allows you to change amp settings...volume, tone, grind...during a gig without messing up the sound man's settings.

Even for recording, it's often best to send the pre signal to the board and let it be EQ'd during mixing and mastering.

But if you want a different direct sound for home recording, just press the switch to the post position.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yessir, tornadobass is right, that's the pre/post switch's job.

In post, your EQ and tone shaping controls are sent to the DI. In pre, it's a direct sound to your mixer.

4. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Yep. The GK DI usually sounds pretty great, too. I've recorded with two of them: twice with my 400RB-III and once with my 200MB. All three recordings came out sounding great.