Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recording with mesa 400+

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by shaunathan32, Jul 14, 2005.

1. shaunathan32

shaunathan32

Jan 18, 2004
    I have a mesa boogie 400+ amp and an ampeg 4x10 HLF cab. How would i go about recording into a digi002R recording rack with this? I remember hearing that i have to do something special witht his amp or else it might mess up the tubes. Also would this provide a good tone while recording? or should i maybe look into a bass POD?

2. Deadworks

Deadworks

Dec 13, 2004
    St.Louis, MO
    The special thing you had to do was just make sure the cab is plugged into the head. Tube amps have to have loads(speakers). From there you can just use the DI on the amp.

I'd imagine it would sound good that way. I don't have one myself(hopefully someday) but I've read nothing but rave reviews about them.

3. shaunathan32

shaunathan32

Jan 18, 2004
    ah that's right. So it doesnt matter which input i plug my bass into? When i plug the head into the recorder where do i go from on the head? There is no jack marked DI so im guessing its just going by another name.

4. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    There is a jack marked DI. Its the only XLR on the back of the amp. Keep in mind however that the output of the DI is post master volume, meaning if you turn your amp down your signal will get weaker too, and in my experiance increase the noise. You can get a pretty hot signal out of that depending on the levels you set on your amp and you may not have to crank your Digi very much.

You can also use the effects send to feed a recording device, it is pre master and pre EQ I believe. Though if you go that route your level to the Digi can be adjusted at the rear of the amp with the effects send knob, which if you set to 10 the amp sends 100% of its signal out the effects send and none to the power section of the amp. Which if you have not guessed means that you can "theoretically" turn the master all the way down and not hook up to a cab. I however never feel comfortable turning on my amp with out a cab attatched so I have not done that.

You may also try blending the signal out of the amp with a mic on the cab, if you can spare the tracks.

5. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    No it does not matter which input jack you use. Though input 1 was designed with active basses in mind and channel 2 for passive. I have a passive P-bass and prefer the active channel, so go figure. Use whatever sounds best. If you have an A/B/Y box or a splitter try blending the two.

6. shaunathan32

shaunathan32

Jan 18, 2004
    sounds good thanks a lot