Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recording with the Aguilar DB 680

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by metron, Mar 7, 2006.

1. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Tell me about your experiences. Anything that has to do with recording with the DB 680. Pros / cons whatever. Thanks!

2. cabcreaser

cabcreaser Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    I think it records incredibly well, I love the +4 db output option.

When I have recorded with it, I didn't use a whole lot of eq, but the pre definitely gives the bass the right amount of presence to sit nicely in the mix (and the bright switch seems very well voiced for studio applications if you need a little extra top end). It really sounds very amplike--warm and fat--(as opposed to di like--clean and pillowy) imo.

3. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Take it to the studio... I promise the engineer will love you. Although you have alot of eq options, I seldom have to make drastic adjustments. One of the strengths of this pre is that it is voiced right from the beginning. I think it sits better in the mix than most preamps including a few mentioned often on the board. Definitely, the last preamp I will own

4. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    I'll tell just an anecdote from a session I did last year. I was going direct from my 680 as well as micing the cabinet so we had some mix and match choices to get the perfect bass tone. In the middle of the first song, and I mean while we were still playing, he came out, unplugged the mic on my cabinet, and turned off my amplifier, giving me the thumbs up for the tone coming straight out of the 680. His comment was that you couldn't beat that tone all by itself; it needed nothing else.

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    whatever your settings were for your live rig, you can throw out the window, cause they wont work into the DI board.

dont be afraid to use your ears for settings chaotically different from what you thought "looked" right.

6. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    I haven't had much opportunity to record with mine, but I like what little I've heard so far. (not very helpful, I know...)

7. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Thanks good stuff people! I dont have any experience recording with it. Just want to collect others experiences. I can see live preamp settings not necessarily working as well on track.

8. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Anyone have experiences to share?

9. mebass5

mebass5 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2005
    I own a 680, and I absolutely love it. I don't do a tremendous amount of studio work, but I have used it in the studio and it sounds sooooo good.

When I use it live, I get many compliments on the sound. One promoter actually told me my bass sound was the best bass sound he'd ever heard live, and he works with a lot of major acts, big concerts.

I always set it flat, and sometimes dial in some mids, but rarely. Our FOH engineer eats it up, and he's hard to please too. To me, it's a perfect combination of clarity, warmth, and presence, without overcoloring the sound. It sounds great on everything from an old P-bass to my modern-sounding Sadowsky Metro.

10. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Just wondering, how does the DB680 compare to the preamp out of the DB750?

11. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    Well, I guess this is up my alley, as I've recorded with both, and gigged with both.

I find the 750 pre section is woolier, and I mean that in a good way, than the pristine 680. The tone that I'm striving for is a modern Jack Bruce kind of sound, aggressive, but more high-end than his was back in the 60s and 70s. I can find that playing around with the gain of my 750. The 680 was noticeably more polite, although not sterile by any means.

I think a person listening to both would almost certainly have a preference. Dialing back the gain on the 750 definitely cleans it up nicely.