Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

recording with the Yamaha TRB 411

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mlunsford, May 24, 2004.

1. mlunsford

mlunsford Guest

May 24, 2004
    Guymon, Okla.
    Hi,

I'm new to the forum. I have a home recording studio. I have the AW4416 Digital recorder. I use a yamaha TRB 411 Bass. I'm basically a guitar player and am learning to record and play the bass. Does anyone play the TRB 411 and possible record on the AW4416? If so, if you have any tips for getting the tone you want, any help would greatly be appreciated. I'm not totally dissatisfied with the tone i'm getting, but would like a little warmer tone.

thanks,

mlunsford

2. Are you recording with a Tube pre, or bass straight into the board?

3. mlunsford

mlunsford Guest

May 24, 2004
    Guymon, Okla.
    Thanks, for the reply. I'm going directly into the board. I have a couple of tube pre's, and a Bass squeeze but have yet to use them to record the bass with.

Thanks,

mlunsford

4. A tube pre should warm up your sound. Try recording some lines with the preamps that you have and see which one is the best.

5. mlunsford

mlunsford Guest

May 24, 2004
    Guymon, Okla.
    The tube pre I have is a presonous. It has a drive and gain knob. Also has pad, 80hz, +48V, buttons on it. How would you reccomend to set it, also how would you reccomend to set the TRB 411 EQ?

Thanks,

mlunsford

6. I suspect you have the BlueTube right? I suggest you set the drive at lower levels to just fatten and warm the sound up without overdiriving the tube ( unless you want some tube grind in your sound) and set the gain to desired dB level. As fars as the TRB EQ, you can EQ it pretty much to your taste or you can set it flat and EQ from the board, so you wont be using too much EQ in the recording.

7. mlunsford

mlunsford Guest

May 24, 2004
    Guymon, Okla.
    Thank you for your time.

mlunsford