1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recording your band at live show

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by LilyT, Apr 29, 2019.

1. LilyT

LilyT

Mar 18, 2019
    California
    Do you guys record your shows to review afterwards? What do you use? Microphone in the house? Direct recording off the mixer? What do you use for the recording device? The mostly acoustic act I'm trying to record isn't that loud, nor very bass heavy (no drums), but the venue (very busy farmer's market) has terrible ambient noise levels(talking, vehicle noise) at times. But that's how it is, so we don't necessarily need to remove it all from the sound, but it is very distracting when not seeing the live performance. We'd like to use the recording as feedback to adjust how we sound, and also, if possible, use for audio to post online.
    I'm trying to figure out something that's accurate, reliable, fairly simple, and preferably not too expensive. If you have any suggestions for equipment and setup, I'm all ears... the more detailed, the better! (Like those 'explain to a 5 year old' videos :D, just throw all the details and assumptions at me).
    Thanks!
    -Lily

2. musicman7722

musicman7722 Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2007
    York, ME US of A
    I use a Tascam DR-07 mkII recorder. I set it on a mike stand a few feet in front of the band and near to one of the Turbosound IP2000's I run for fronts. The quality is very good.

GroovyBaby, ObsessiveArcher and LilyT like this.
  3. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    We used to. back when we started.. some 6+ yrs ago.
    Now we tend to rely on folks recording us and posting FB vids to get an idea. Not the greatest quality, but ... <shrug>.

Bodeanly and LilyT like this.
  4. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    Our acoustic trio (guitar, dobro, bass, two vocals) go thru our smallish PA. I use a Zoom H2n, using the “concert” setting on the limiter, on a mic stand about 18” from one of the mains, cardioid pattern. Great results on the cheap.

We haven’t bothered recording gigs for a few years now. We know what we sound like.

5. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    Yes, at every gig we use a Zoom H2 recorder that sits on a table about 30 feet out front. It works great and is an accurate sonic mirror for us. Our band mate who brings it sends out the audio a couple of days after the gig so we can review.
    If you use one of the Zoom recorders they work best if you sit it on a small tripod to help eliminate handling or table noise.

6. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Soundcraft ui-24. Records every track selected to a USB stick pre fader. You do have to use a good high throughput stick... I use a SanDisk Extreme. We don’t do the review after every gig. Every so often I’ll drop a set to cd for my band mates. It is quite time consuming to remix. Better results than 2 track but the time involved can be daunting...

LilyT and s0c9 like this.
  7. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    We use a Zoom Q8 to record almost all of our shows.

zoom.jpg

It does a pretty good job for a $350 camera. The sound is exceptional, and video quality is ok.

Sample:

8. JPaulGeddy

JPaulGeddy

Sep 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    Grab a Zoom in your budget and call it done. I use the H1, sounds good enough for reviewing, and is dead simple.

MakoMan, dralionux, s0c9 and 2 others like this.
  9. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i use digital mixers mostly, so: it's easy to record multi-track straight to DAW. currently using a soundcraft Ui24R for most gigs. i highly recommend it for overall competence, sound, and recording options. it might be considered 'overkill' for/by a duo, but it really is a handy piece.

good luck with your recording gear decision(s)! :thumbsup:

LilyT likes this.
  10. handofdumb

handofdumb

Sep 7, 2017
    Illinois
    In my last band, my drummer used to record all of our shows on an older Flip video camera! I think it might have been an Ultra HD model, but I'm not sure.

Either way, it did a decent job on both video and audio for the size, price, and portability. Since we were loud, ambient noise wasn't a problem, but I'd imagine a farmer's market might change things.

There's definitely better stuff out there, and I've had good luck with recording simply audio on a Tascam field recorder (not sure on the model), but nothing beat the Flip for making things easy.

LilyT likes this.
  11. LilyT

LilyT

Mar 18, 2019
    California
    Thanks you guys and gals, that's a lot of great information I'll have to look into <3

A couple other judgment type questions, kind people...

Does anyone feel strongly that their setup doesn't (or does) pick up the bass (the most important instrument:laugh:) enough to judge how balanced the overall sound is? (I'm also the mediocre sound person and it would be nice to evaluate how it sounds after, perhaps having someone else help me critique it and tell me what I should do better) :meh: I hope to someday know what we sound like, and to be able to make our sound actually sound like us at gigs.
    @mapleglo, you noted your video recorder has great sound, and your video was sure nice... do you feel like that reproduces your balance well?

And... does anyone have an opinion on whether the direct mix signal might not be an accurate reflection of how the mix sounds out in the venue? If I could get enough help (and someone to stand watch over a recorder which would be placed in the middle of the street!) I could try to test this question myself, but I already can't quite be in all the locations I need to be in...

I have more than one flip recorder but their rechargeable batteries are totally useless after a year :-( so I guess I have a couple of bricks that could have worked had we played music back then. My iphone seems kinda terrible at recording lower frequency sound accurately (though maybe it's app dependent??? or user dependent? I'm sure I'm not using it the best way)

Thanks so much!

12. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    I think it's a lot easier than mixing the sound that I record off of my Allen & Heath QU-SB digital mixer, and then splicing that to the video. The Zoom just gets placed out front, and picks up both the sound and video. I think it does a fairly good job, especially considering the price of the unit. I also use it to record our practices, and just strip off the sound and load that into my iTunes for my individual practice at home.

LilyT likes this.
  13. LilyT

LilyT

Mar 18, 2019
    California
    Thank you for the details! Anything that's easier is sure more likely to get used for sure, excellent point.

mapleglo likes this.
  14. Yeah. Same here. Tascam DR-07 mkII. Excellent little $100 tool.

LilyT likes this.
  15. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    Multitrack digital right off the mixer (a hundred dollar Windows tablet can record all tracks via USB from Behringer X18... there's an app for that, which sure beats hauling out the 2-inch 16 track Studer! ) :)

LilyT and bpmben like this.
  16. Charlzm

Charlzm

Mar 25, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Never recorded in that kind of scenario; we have always just pulled off the main mixing board. Even when we did unplugged sets, we were running full mics through the board.

LilyT likes this.
  17. gumtown

gumtown

May 7, 2007
    New Zealand
    I use a multi channel USB audio soundcard thingy, I use 8 channels, with a custom lead made to plug into the mixing desk channel "inserts" and record each channel into "Cakewalk" D.A.W. software.
    I can then mix down the show after or the next day.

I usually get 3 x vocal, 1 x guitar, 1 x bass, kick, snare, floor tom.

Example: using someone's phone camera video with the live multi track recorded audio overlaid.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    LilyT likes this.
  18. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011

If the band is in to it, it's a very good idea. We basically used a board mix taken off a couple of post fader aux sends to various media recorders. It started with cassette because it was convenient to pop the last show into the van's cassette player as we drove to the next gig.

I also used a Marantz recorder for a while that used flash media. I went this route because I wanted a recorder player that made digital files I could archive and email. I could either hook it up to a computer and access it like a disk drive, or copy files from the flash media to a CD/RW. We had all of our music written out and all of our songs recorded and archived on disc in case we needed a sub. Also, these charts and actual recordings of the band are great tools for individual practice if the band can't get together and rehearse.

We also used the built in recording capabilities of the Yamaha LS9, which I believe are saved on a thumb drive, so it's convenient to transfer them to a computer.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    LilyT likes this.
  19. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    It varies based on a lot of things. If the need is quick check recordings, it's less critical. If you are mainly PA reinforced (IE not much useful sound coming directly from the stage) then a recorder on the console out can be decent. If not, a portable recorder, either with the internal mics (if you can stomach them) or a good X-Y pair of directional condensers as close to the near-field as you can get is pretty good also. The high end is to take direct outs from your console for all channels into some form of a recorder, and then you can mixdown later (best if the goal is for demos).

I've done all three, and one of the venues I am FOH engineer at has a Yamaha M7CL, and we go out Dante to a computer based 32 track recorder . . . nice, but kind of a pain at times as well . . .

So, "it depends" . . . :) :)

LilyT likes this.
  20. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    Those still exist ??? o_Oo_Oo_O

mikewalker likes this.