Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

recording

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by davetsbass, Apr 24, 2001.

1. davetsbass

davetsbass Guest

Mar 24, 2001
    burnt hills NY
    I was talking to a guy who is in the area. His dad owns a local recording studio and the guy had worked in it. He quit the job and started his own. The guy had said that he wanted to record us because he's seen us live and likes our music but wants to see how his partners feel about it, so we need to make a demo. Last time we recorded we used a Tascam tape 8(?) track. The music without the vocals were crap and my guitarist and I thought it was because we recorded them one track at a time and didn't have the 'feel' of playing together. I want this demo to be good, cause well hell any promotion is good promotion.. or is it?

2. ASR

ASR

Apr 2, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    There is such thing as bad promotion. If you record it and it doesn't sound right to you, then it won't be good promotion. I would suggest looking for someone who is experienced with recording on that particular type of recording equipment to help you out and give you pointers.

3. BassDude24

BassDude24

Sep 12, 2000
    With my band, we are in the studio right now, and we are recording a demo. We have full intention of paying for the demo, $35 and hour + production and replication fees. The purpose of this demo will be to get it out to record labels (local ones, as well as ones with worldwide distribution) and to get gigs.

While in the studio, the producer has brought up the poss. of signing with his local label, and he would pay for us to continue the demo, and cut more tracks for an entire album.

So you may want to try something like this, go to the guy, and tell him you are interested in recording a demo, set up a recording time and talk about paying for the demo (be prepaired to pay for it all just in case) This way, while you record, his partner will be able to hear you guys as well.

4. I_Dream_Of_Bass

I_Dream_Of_Bass

Feb 8, 2001
    davetsbass,

You didn't specify what the recording at the guys studio was going to be for. He may have offered to record you so that he has a tangible product showcasing HIS studio. You should try to find out how many songs he will record and approximately how much time he will spend on it. If you don't feel that it isn't going to be substantial, then I wouldn't think of going to another studio to pay for a demo just to re-record another demo at his studio. I would ask him what exactly he is looking for. You may simply have to record your best one or two songs on your 8-track. Given the previous recording you attempted, I would suggest trying to record with everyone playing at the same time. This will prove more challenging to set up the tracks, but you can get a good sound and still keep the vibe that you have playing live.

Bottom line is...if he is planning on recording you for free, he probably isn't looking for you to provide him with a fully polished album as a qualification. He probably just wants something to give to his partners that shows that you can actually play the song correctly and that you're not going to eat up too much free time at the studio.

I hope this helps...

5. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Hi all!

I was just wondering if anyone here has much recording experience. My band is going to record three demo songs in May, and we have estimated that we can´t spend any more then 20 hours on recording it. Is that a reasonable time to record three songs?
    Just wondering....
    Thanks in advance.

6. Icez:

I think that 20 hours should be more than enough to record 3 songs... although my band spent more than 2 days in the studio in iceland (við vorum veðurteptir á Seyðisfirði ;) )....

depending on the songs, I would say that 1 song should take from 3 - 5 hours... and most of the time will probably be spent on recording the drums...

btw.. where will you record? Sýrlandi?

7. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Hi!

Thanks for the quick reply :)

We are recording in a little studio in Soltuni 24 I think it is....There's a guy called David which is the majority owner I think. We´re getting it pretty cheap (I think) because our drummers knows these guys somewhat.

Most of the spent on recording drums? God-damn :) How come they are so time consuming?

B.t.w. Eru Íslendingar mjög aktívir hér talkbass korkunum? :)
    B.t.w.2. Ertu í hljómsveit hér á Íslandi? Ef svo, hvað heitir hún? ......Bandið sem ég er í heitir Lirmill....erum að fara taka upp demo disk til þess að kynna okkur osfrv. Allt frumsamið efni auðvitað.