1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Recording.

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Microbass, May 9, 2005.

1. Heeeey, just a question about our upcoming demo-sessions.

I know its only a demo, but its important to me to have a good bass sound. Recently I've really enjoyed the downright nasty gritty sound I'm getting from the pre-tubes in the trace, but I tend to get this sound around gig-volume.

where I will be reocrding may not allow for such a volume, so I was thinking of the best ways to get the sound on the CD. My thoughts we're doing 3 tracks; a DI, a "cone mic" and a bass mic, that being either in the port hole of my 2x10 or a coupla feet away from the cab.
    The plan was for the DI to catch the grittyness straight form the preamp, as since I may not be loud during recording. the other 2 tracks for lows and mids/highs. I was quite pleased with the sound I got using 2 tracks last time (cone mic and a bass mic 2 metres away).

think this will work to get my "grit" sound?

[edit]
    cheers for the move ;)

2. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    In my experience the best way to do it is with three tracks: DI, clean miked amp, dirty/overdriven miked amp. Use whatever to make the "dirt" (I prefer a guitar POD). Blend to taste.