Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

recording

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by ibassclef, Jul 31, 2001.

1. ibassclef

ibassclef

Jul 31, 2001
    Hey, just listened to some of the mp3 you had posted before. Sounds great! I'm interested in the recording techniques you used. Can you tell us a bit about that? Were these done in a home studio? What kind of equipment are you using?

Info along these lines would be very interesting.

Thanks.

2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Sorry it has taken be so long to respond. I have been away, teaching at the National Summer Guitar Workshop these past few weeks.

The initial recording were done in my home studio or my drummers home studio. I use a M Audio Delta 1010 and both Cakewalk Pro Audio and Samplitude. I use my Walter Woods or an ART Tube MP as a direct box/preamp. My drummer usesa Motu 2048 with a Digital Performer (Mac). From there I would bring all the .wav files to a studio for final mix, overdubs and the addiditon of digital effects. The engineer has a great ear, has all the plug-ins, is really quick with the software (samplitude) and has the mics, preamps and stuff I don't.

I did use a seperate studio for some recordings with Grand Piano. These are not released yet. Paul McCandless the world class reed player has yet to record his parts.

Mike