1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Recordinging to laptop via mic-in port

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by dllive, Jan 26, 2012.

1. dllive

dllive

Dec 30, 2011
    Hi,
    I have a Vamp, bass and laptop. Basically: I want to record my bass into my laptop. My laptop doesnt have a Line In port - only a Mic port. I can plug my bass directly into the Mic port and record fine there - but I cant here what Im playing. If I plug the bass into the Vamp, and then have a cable going from my Vamp into the laptop's Mic port, the signal is completely distorted. This is obviously because the Mic port is expecting a very weak signal (as opposed to a Line In port which is expecting a stronger signal from a sound source). Ive tried turning the laptop's Mic input right down, the Vamp's volume right down etc..., but all I get is a distorted signal. Do you know of a way I can achieve this, or a bit of kit that will reduce the signal from my Vamp to the Mic port? A friend said that I could buy this from them: ART Tube MP - Project Series w/ USB . Would that do the job?
    Thanks

2. miiitch

miiitch

Nov 27, 2011
    Germany
    you should be able to turn up / activate the playback in system options

i use that setup nearly every day for practising, as i dont have a small combo or such, but a home stereo plugged to my laptop :p

3. dllive

dllive

Dec 30, 2011
    hi miiitch: I heard that plugging a bass directly into the mic port woudl damage the sound card. Any truth in that? (obviously not if you do this every day).

Can you expand on your comment "you should be able to turn up / activate the playback in system options"? Do you mean turn up the volume on the laptop? (Ive tried that and it only increase the volume of whatever song Im playing along to - but not my bass!)

Im using Audacity for the software.

4. miiitch

miiitch

Nov 27, 2011
    Germany
    i have no idea what it´s called in english, so i´m just referring to it as system options :D
    looking at the bottom right of my monitor, there´s a clock and some little symbols ... i got a speaker symbol there
    that opens a menu, where i can activate (un-mute) the "mic" playback, and adjust its volume

the result is a nice clean signal without distortion, so i´d say it won´t hurt ;)
    you would only cause damage, if you tried to plug in a 1/4" jack into that 1/8" ... but I guess you knew

and btw, that works without any program, the signal´s pretty much going the direct way to the output

5. dllive

dllive

Dec 30, 2011
    Thanks! Im using Windows 7, so will click on things until I find the setting!