Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recordings of Jazz Band Rehearsal

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by jive1, Jul 29, 2004.

1. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I started a Jazz Quartet a month ago, and we recorded the last practice. Jazz isn't my primary style, so if anybody wants to take a listen and offer any tips and critique, I'd appreciate it. Please ignore the crappy solos ;) .

Here's the Link

2. i think there might be a problem with the link...
    i keep getting "freelinuxhost.com"

click on the title of a song and see what i am talking about
    i can't wait to hear them!

Charlie

3. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Aw crap, I forgot that Linux/Unix is case sensitive in the URLs. I fixed it, checked it and it should now work.

4. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    i thoroughly enjoyed listening to them :p sorry I didnt pay much attention to them in detail but they sound pretty great and you got some good chops. bada ba ba ba, I'm loving it.

5. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Kill the sax player.. He's out of tune >_<

6. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    The rhythm section is strong and solid. The sax player, and this is MHO, has a poor tone and way too much vibrato on the heads. I like the melody to be played clean...also not much doubling going on with the piano and sax for the heads. any reason for that???

Anyway sounds pretty good. I also like to throw in some more funky stuff so you're not doing the walking bassline thing for every tune.

Sounds good.

Matt

7. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Thanks for the comments folks.

The Sax player is actually pretty accomplished musician. He's a horn player for the LAPD band. He was the pianists father-in-law that was in town visiting. He was subbing for us, playing his grand-daughter's student alto with sticky keys. Also he was reading from a C Real Book, so he was transposing on the fly. Given all that, yeah he was out of tune at time, but not that bad given the circumstances.

I'd like to get funkier on the songs, but I'm nervous about keeping time and losing the form of the song. As I get more familiar with the songs and the genre, I hope to stretch out. For now, I just don't want to get lost in the song.

Once again, thanks for the comments.

8. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN

9. thats some good stuff!

10. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    You're right here. I do tend to get caught up in walking mode. The sax player is pretty much a traditionalist who likes to keep to the form of the song. As I get more familiar with the material and the players, I hope to be able to stretch out more, and have everyone stay in sync.

I've been listening to alot of Bill Evans lately. Amzing stuff, and great compositions.

Sometimes I sing the melody to myself like it's a prayer.

Thanks for the encouragement. I'll be assertive in my playing at the next practice and see how it goes. Even though Jazz is a fantastic medium for improvisation, I just need to hit a comfort zone. I think it will be just around the corner.

11. I am no jazz player yet, but I love listening to it. I have only listened to the 1st song, but it sounded good. Your solo was not take crappy at all and it seemed to fit well. Keep up the good work.