1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Recordings: what/when/demo:lp???

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by b to g is yummy, Aug 23, 2007.

1. My band’s got about 10 originals now, with a few more coming soon hopefully, and we’re itching to get some half decent recordings. My question is if we should be looking at a full length album, putting out a 3 song demo, or maybe just doing our own rough myspace recording for now

A little bit about my band:
    -Christian rock band from Ontario, Canada
    -range in age from about 18-21
    -Our sound has a lot of Coldplay elements (lots of keyboard driven songs and delay laden guitar) Quite pretty :)
    -We’ve played less than a dozen shows
    -We’ve improved a lot steadily in the past half year or so as we’ve discovered ‘our’ sound
    -We still make a lot of mistakes in our playing
    -And yes, we do wanna tour full time. (insert laugh/eye-rolling here)

My own thoughts lean towards doing a rough demo of a few songs ourselves and popping it on myspace and see what happens, hopefully it will help us hook up with other bands, expand our fanbase, AND get some big name guy to hear us, love us, and takes us under his wings. :) Maybe I’m dreaming too much, we have a lot of odds against us I know, even just being Canadian is a big hurdle I suppose. (also, we don’t know much about recording at all)

Or, we could spend some money and go to a real studio. My question here is, is it stupid to record only 3 songs when you could get enough you could make an album? I think if we go the real studio route we’d be better off to just do a few songs, because we’re still developing so much, and it’d be a great learning/growing experience. Or maybe once you go to a studio and start working on things ‘magic’ will happen?

I definitely don’t want to record a full length album without the guidance of somebody who really knows what they are doing. If we do do a ‘real album’ I want it professional and amazing!

What are the pros and cons between recording ourself/studio demo/studio album??
    Which route is our greatest likelihood for success??

Thanks tb’ers

2. oh, and we do have drum mics, albeit not enough tom mics, for his 3 toms....
    we also have access to cubase, and a preamp thing that allows us to record 8 tracks at once and mix them seperately
    ...in case u were wondering

3. bro)))616

bro)))616

Jul 18, 2007
    fontana,CA
    well my band has played almost every weekend for 3 years and we have only had 2 demos...but we are much better than when we started ..soo dont do an album just do demos cuz you never know when a song will change or you will make better songs...you dont want to put out an album of songs that arent as good as the ones youll make in the near future

4. MoD_Scotty

MoD_Scotty

Jul 22, 2007
    Thrapston, UK
    Definitely get a demo recorded. A lot of studios will charge around $350-500 for a solid day or recording, and that should be enough to lay down a couple tracks.

I book shows, and there is no way I'm going to book a band that I haven't heard yet. I guess you can get by on word of mouth in your own scene, but if you seriously want to start hitting the road, you absolutely will need something recorded.

:EDIT: I just read about how you have mics and stuff. If you are able to record yourselves, and it comes out decent, then go for it. Look around on myspace at other bands' sites in your area. See how your recording sounds compared to theirs. If it's just as good, cool. If not, you might want to consider a professional recording.