Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recordings without guitar/piano

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by MarkW, Dec 8, 2000.

1. MarkW

MarkW

Oct 31, 2000
    Austin,Tx
    hey i am looking for some cds preferably jazz that dont have a piano/guitar player comping on them so that i can the bass clearly.preferably with an upright bass player on the recording.any ideas ?? (i know there are some Charlie haden cds out like this--how is the one with don cherry??)

thanks

2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Sonny Rollins has recorded a lot like this, in a trio with drums, sax and bass. And on john Coltrane's 'Lush Life' there are a few tunes with just a trio.

I've found that the best Cds for hearing bass are guitar/bass duets - you get to hear cool comping behind the bass solos, and bass supporting a good melody player - try Metheny/Haden - Beyond The Missourri Sky, any of the Jim Hall/ Ron Carter duos, Joe Pass with NHOP - Chops.

the various Bill Evans + bassist Cds are really good as well, and pretty easy to pick out the bass on.

also, check out Marc Johnson with Eric Longsworth, who plays Cello - Eric's album 'If Trees Could Fly' is all Cello/URB duets.

cheers
    Steve
    http://www.steve-lawson.co.uk

3. MarkW

MarkW

Oct 31, 2000
    Austin,Tx
    thanks Steve! i'll look into some of these...

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Listening to stuff sans a CHORDING instrument has become one of my favorite past-times...

Dave Holland-CONFERENCE OF THE BIRDS
    ...Holland(bass), Sam Rivers(sax/flute), Anthony Braxton(saxes), & Barry Altschul(drums).

BTW, even though Holland's PRIME DIRECTIVE cd(from '00)has a vibes' player(Steve Nelson...sounding like a Fender Rhodes' electric piano),...it is worthy enough to check out. The comping by Nelson is very understated & low-key.

William Parker-PAINTER'S SPRING
    ...Parker(bass), Hamid Drake(drums), & Daniel Carter(saxes/flute/bass clarinet). Drake is a monster on the cans...maybe the "best" Parker recording I own.

Ornette Coleman-NEW YORK IS NOW and LOVE CHILD
    ...TWO recordings that are similiar. Coleman(sax/violin), Dewey Redman(sax), Elvin Jones(drums), & Jimmy Garrison(bass). If you notice, it is Coltrane's bass/drum team coupled with 2 horns. Both of these cds are an "odd" dichotomy of styles/sound...Jones & Garrison play it pretty STRAIGHT(as in straightahead)while Coleman & Redman are off in FREE-ville.

John Lindberg-BOUNCE and THE CATBIRD SINGS
    ...Lindberg(bass...definitely worth checking out!)
    BOUNCE has Dave Douglas(trumpet), Larry Ochs(sax), & Ed Thigpen(drums).
    CATBIRD has Ochs, Andrew Cyrille(drums), & Leo Smith(trumpet).

Michael Formanek-LOOSE CANNON
    ...Formanek(bass), Tim Berne(saxes), & Jeff Hirscfield(drums).
    Dave Douglas-MAGIC TRIANGLE
    ...Douglas(trumpet), Chris Potter(sax), James Genus(bass), & Ben Perowsky(drums).
    Charles Brackeen Quartet-WORSIPPERS COME NIGH
    ...Brackeensax), Olu dara(cornet), Fred Hopkins(bass), & Andrew Cyrille(drums).
    Scott Colley-THE MAGIC LINE
    ...Colley(bass), Chris Potter, saxes/bass clarinet), & Bill Stewart(drums).

You mentioned Charlie Haden...there's a bunch of Old And New Dreams' cds out there(Don Cherry, Dewey Redman, Ed Blackwell, & Haden).
    Though electric bass, there's also Jaco's solo discs(30th BIRTHDAY CONCERT & TWINS) + the album with Manglesdorff.
    Too, something else a little different...Coltrane's INTERSTELLAR SPACE. No bass player, just 'Trane & drummer Rashied Ali goin' nuts.
    ...and, even with the GUITAR, Pat Metheny's last two TRIO albums(especially the new LIVE double-cd)IS happenin'! Bill Stewart & Larry Goldings are on drums & bass.

***My question***
    Are there any 4-tet recordings with Mingus, Richmond, Dolphy, & Curson still available? If so, WHAT ARE THEY?!

5. MarkW

MarkW

Oct 31, 2000
    Austin,Tx
    thanks for all the suggestions guys! and keep em coming:)

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Jim mentions "Old & New Dreams" - I have a live CD called "Playing" which is very good for this. Although Don Cherry does play the head to one or two tunes on piano, he doesn't play during the solos or really play chords as such.

I see everyone has stuck very closely to the rules and hasn't been tempted to mention any Jaco CDs - like the Bithday Concert is very good for a huge band with only bass and percussion - no chordal instruments.

If this is about upright bass shouldn't it be on the "DB" side of the forum? Would this be a "first" for the moderators - moving a thread from electric to acoustic? ;)

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...Bruce-
    Of course, I mentioned Jaco's BIRTHDAY CONCERT(read it again!).
    If this was moved to the "Double Bass" side, I dunno...don't they kinda like it quiet over there? :D

8. Bruce Lindfield

Sorry about that - I read though your list several times before I made my post and for some reason the Jaco bit gets lost - I had to read it several times again!

I know Ed always mentions that Lee Konitz album, but I haven't found it over here. I have been listening to another Konitz one a lot recently, called "Sound of Surprise" with Marc Johnson on Bass, who I really like. This one is very clear in terms of hearing the walking bass lines outlining the chords without any clutter (quite a few bass solos as well). Although John Abercrombie is included in the band, he doesn't seem to play a chord for the first 4 or 5 tracks and always lays out in Lee's solos.

I think I might be in the same position as MarkW who posted this topic, in terms of wanting to really hear what Jazz upright players are doing on walking lines. I really like a lot of the "classic" albums, but often I can't hear the actual notes the bassist is playing. On the more modern recordings, like the Lee Konitz stuff it is much clearer. I can't get into walking lines as much as I'd like from the theoretical point of view and I really feel it helps, being able to hear what these players are doing.

9. MarkW

MarkW

Oct 31, 2000
    Austin,Tx

I picked up "triplicate" by Dave Holland yesterday and have been really enjoying it. This one has Steve Coleman on sax and Jack Dejohnette on drums.couldnt find the Lee Konitz motion disc unfortunately but I heard some clips online at cdnow and it definitely sounds good.

10. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Don't forget Rob Wasserman's albums, Solo and Duos.

Will C.:cool:

11. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    David Friesen's Two for the Show has duets with horn players Michael Brecker, Bud Shank and Clark Terry. You will however have to "put up with" duets with guitarists Uwe Kropinski and John Scofield and pianist Danny Zeitlin.

12. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    I've got a gig supporting David Friesen in London in March next year - boy am I looking forward to that one!!!

Steve
    http://www.steve-lawson.co.uk

13. Bruce Lindfield

Ed - do you like the "Sound of Surprise" Konitz album? What is your take on Marc Johnson - I like his sound and soloing, but I don't see him cited very often on the DB side. Is he seen as a Jazz player in the US or more crossover?

14. MarkW

MarkW

Oct 31, 2000
    Austin,Tx
    anyone have the Konitz/steve swallow and ithink paul motion tri cd? Saw that in the store the other day...