1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recordings....

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Big nebula, Jun 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big nebula

Big nebula

Feb 15, 2006
    Scotland
    Is this subforum loosing it's mission statement/identity? It used to be great to log in and listen to bassist's recordings but recently it's went nuts!! Before long I would expect a Star Trek clip on Youtube being submitted as a recorded bass playing example? Could we get back on track and back to bass playing? I mean when you come across threads like " Listen to my band" and when you do,it turns out to be total non-bass related? Please now.:hyper:

2. daren_woodall

daren_woodall

Jun 11, 2007
    Austin, TX
    I'm new to the site, and must admit, I instinctively thought this subforum would be devoted to member's recordings. Hearing the products of the membership can be really enlightening. Although this subforum appear to be intended for this purpose, is more generalized then that. I can't help feeling much of this forum's contents would be more appropriately placed in the Miscellaneous forum.

My 2 cents, Daren

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

So, what you're saying is, we're not allowed to be musicians, only bassists? Every recording submitted has to be a bass solo? We're not allowed to play bass in a band? That's not "bass related?"

Ok... that sounds really boring. But... ok.

4. daren_woodall

daren_woodall

Jun 11, 2007
    Austin, TX
    No, I didn't interpret that way, and I hope you don't think that is my intent. I merely wanted to drawing a distiction between recordings where forum members are contributors as opposed to discussions of otherwise commercially available recordings.

No worries. If this forum isn't structured that way, I can adjust. :)

Daren

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Well, discussing music commercially available is fun as well, also introducing people to new music. Maybe there should be an area for "member recordings" and another that is "recordings (general)" or something... I don't know. But I think having a place to discuss all musical recordings is a good idea.

There are threads devoted to "introduce your band" and soforth, and forum members are constantly whoring their band, it's fun. I think things are fine the way they are personally.

6. Big nebula

Big nebula

Feb 15, 2006
    Scotland
    Matt,

This sub-forum was at one time emmersed with bassist' contributions but recently(in the last year) the contributions to this thread have become less bass orientated to what they used to be to the point of totally ridiclulously off topic nonsense .I did not create the precedent,I simply comment on it.How you 'pigeon-hole' yourself as either a bassist or a musician is your choice and indeed how you purport and submit herein.I for one used to love logging in here and listening to bassists' submission as the forum leader suggests,'Recordings' but now we have to scroll through thread after thread of stuff that has no real relevance to the bass guitar and if that sounds boring then perhaps boring bass players should create their own boring bass players forum with the understanding that no submissions with 'bass solo' content be allowed.:ninja:

7. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Instead of complaining, why don't you post a recording of your or your band's playing!? Secondly, there are quite a lot of 'paying' members here and we like the forum the way it is! In addition, there quite a lot of bassists who have not entered the new millennium of technology and don't know how to post or record music of their own. Some can't afford to! Lastly, positive discussions are always welcome. Negative, complaining discussions are not a good way to be welcomed to the forum!

8. thefruitfarmer

thefruitfarmer

Feb 25, 2006
    Kent UK
  9. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

It's interesting! The playing is good. Not a fan of the style though. You were also lost in the mix. Overall, good playing. You can play!

10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Oooohhhh, so not everyone's bass playing is FLASHY enough for you. Makes sense I guess. :scowl:

Listen, you may not believe me, but bass playing takes on many forms. I think that Cliff Williams (AC/DC) bass playing fits his band just as well as Wooten fits the Flecktones. And really, where is the line betwee "boring" bass playing and bass playing interesting enough for you? I've heard a lot of great bass playing that isn't flashy and certainly isn't root note playing.

I really hope this forum doesn't become as close minded as you would like it.

11. thefruitfarmer

thefruitfarmer

Feb 25, 2006
    Kent UK
    Thanks DW

I felt the bass sound was not quite right to cut through the mix.

I did n't want the bass right up front but I think next time I will record the bass dry and through the sansamp as well so I have more scope to mould the sound afterwards....

:)

12. Blackbird

Blackbird Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Recordings has a mission statement? :confused:

Truth be told, the original intent of this forum was to discuss commercial recordings by well known artists. Over time, the discussion broadened to encompass recordings made by TBers as well as recordings with video, which weren't even available when TalkBass started out. We're older than YouTube!:hyper:

Bassists are musicians and musicians need to and do listen to more than just the bass.The people want it this way, so that's the way it is.

Feel free to contribute more threads like the ones you'd like to see.:)

Oo, not cool. Your fellow TalkBass members do not owe you entertainment.

I think this conversation should end here.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 21, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.