Records you *have* to hear all the way through.

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Blackbird, Oct 15, 2005.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    I love Marillion's Clutching at Straws, but I *have* to hear it start to finish to really enjoy it. I really hate stopping midway, mostly because it's such a cohesive work. It's like a film, really.

Do you feel that way about an album? Which and why?
  2. pink floyd
    --The wall
    --Dark side of the moon

I think all the songs just flow together in an awesome way
    Matthew_84 likes this.
  3. Yes...Pink Floyd's Dark Side of The Moon..Even after all these years, I do get quite emotional when listening to it.
    Why? I love everything about it...It just tells so much without saying that much.. It also is the only album that gives me so much pleasure, I usually listen to no more than 50% of an album at a time...
  4. ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    Mars Volta's de-loused in the comatorium, anything by pink floyd.
  5. RawB103

Mar 24, 2005
    I agree with the Pink Floyd posts. And lately I've really gotten into Automatic for the People by R.E.M.
  6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Most Steve Reich stuff I listen to from start to finish if I can help it(I have every steve reich recording ever). Additionally, the rite of spring I always listen to all the way through. Lately, I discovered this new guy, Dwele, he's a neo-soul crooner type, but his albums are magnificently crafted into cohesive storylines(self produced mostly), and I have been listening to them all the way through everytime I sit down with 'em.
  7. Guiseppe

Oct 26, 2003
    Vancouver, WA
    Supertramp, Crime of the Century - still holds it's own as one of the best recorded rock albums ever.

Dark Side of the Moon. nuff' said.

Santana, Moonflower - a couple weaker cuts, but the live cuts are (in my mind) probably the best stuff that Carlos ever recorded. Europa will send shivers up my spine - STILL.
    OldDog52 likes this.
  8. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    John Coltrane's A Love Supreme.....some of the most powerful music ever laid to disc!!
    Hotblack likes this.
  9. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Miles Davis - 'Agharta'

Antony and the Johnsons - 'I am a Bird Now'

Marvin Gaye - 'What's Goin On'
  10. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    This is the album that came to mind immediately. My favorite album for sure. Good call Jerry!
  11. Yes - Close to the Edge & Relayer
    k31bassman likes this.
  12. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I dig Supertramp...especially the pre-"Breakfast" stuff.
    Genesis: "Selling England by the Pound"
    MC5: "Kick Out the Jams!"
    Guiseppe likes this.
  13. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Can't believe I forgot:
    Sonny Sharrock - 'Ask the Ages'

(Probably my all-time favourite album.)
  14. The Who - Quadrophenia
    Clockwork Orange - Soundtrack
  15. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I'll see Agharta and raise you Pangaea.

ELP - Tarkus
    Red Sparrows - At the Soundless Dawn
    Faith No More - King for a Day
    Yeti - Things to Come
  16. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    'Operation: Mindcrime', anyone? Played straight through, that album is pretty much perfect. There are no flaws on that album, but it has to be played from start to finish.

Graeme :bassist:
    osv, steamthief and devnulljp like this.
  17. Boys Night Out - Trainwreck

You gotta listen to it all the way to get the full experience of the album...I can't explain it, but very songs on the record hold their own by listening to it by itself, but somehow when I listen to it all the way through, it seems like one gigantic masterpiece. Shame most of you will probably never hear it.
  18. if u like metal then u proly have heard this all the way thru but mudvayne's LD50.... their bassist is proly the best in metal today.
  19. Word of Mouth by Jaco Pastorius. Each song kind of flows into the next so perfectly that I hate to stop listening after just a song or 2. I have to hear John and Mary every time, it's such a perfect ending to a perfect album.
  20. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I love that album too! I think Crisis is so ahead of it's time, and maybe a glimpse into the artist tortured soul.