1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recovering an amp in tweed?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by myke.nytemare, Nov 8, 2006.

1. I need to ask because I am seriously considering covering the next head/cab I get in tweed because I like the way it looks and it was available on the Peavey Classic series (though I can only find Black ones at the moment and might buy them and recover them).

I have re-tolexed my current cab/head with neon green tolex and it looks pretty good, but I would think that since tweed is a material, I wont be able to use the same procedure I did for the vinyl.

Anyone have any advice on installing tweed and where to get nice tweed cabinet material?

Thanks,
    Mike

2. chaotick

chaotick

Aug 15, 2006
    Raleigh, NC, USA
    I don't know, but I would think that you would have to staple it with a gun, like when you are re-upholstering furniture.

3. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    OH! "Tweed"! I thought you said "weed".

Yeah, that sounds like a good idea. Covering your amp in weed sounds expensive. Not to mention the problems transportation and leaving it at the bar overnight would present.

4. chaotick

chaotick

Aug 15, 2006
    Raleigh, NC, USA
    Blazed much? :rolleyes:

5. seriously...anyone do a recovering of their cab or amp in tweed or know of a good online resource?

6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
  7. The tweed on the peavey classic series amps etc isnt actual tweed, its more like a different textured tolex with more than one colour to it.

8. oh...the peavey covering is the "tweed tolex" that I see being sold. That would be easy for me to install and if it is what would look "factory" then I will go for that!

Otherwise...neon green will rise again!

9. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    The procedure would be the same, might use a different adhesive, I'd look into that.

10. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Partsexpress sells real cloth tweed and seems to recommend 3M Super 77 spray adhesive. Which is the same as vinyl tolex.

I did a Google search for installing tweed before my original post and came up with a link on how to varnish it to look like an old Fender amp.