Recovering from surgery

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by teprodic, Aug 21, 2004.

1. Hello everyone. I just had surgery today on the top of my right hand because I had some bump that was growing there and it would move around when i plucked with my index and middle finger. I had no pain or anything but the doctor said that it was tissue and he didnt know how it got there but the best thing to do was to go through surgery to get it removed. Well the reason I started this thread was because I wanted to know if anyone has had surgery anywhere near hand, arm, or wrist and how did it affect the way you played once you had recovered? I'm about to start school next Thursday in which I was going be in the jazz ensemble and I was really looking forward to that. At the moment I'm in some pain and I have no idea how long it will last but I'm hoping that it won't affect how I play bass in the long run. Does anyone have an idea of how surgery might affect me and is there anything I could do with my left hand (fretting hand) so that I won't fall behind? I have no idea how long it might take to recover but if anyone has gone through a similar incident were you had surgery and sort of have an idea of how long it takes then I will greatly appreciate your comment. Either way thanks for your help.
  2. vegasbass

Mar 17, 2004
    Well, back in January I had my left shoulder fixed. The doc had to clean up a bad labral tear, sink some bone anchors, grind some spurs, etc... You can imagine how painful it was to get my left hand to grip the neck. I had NO external rotation. Although your surgery wasn't as severe, I would suggest taking it very easy at first. I tried to practice a bit about a week after my surgery and I dam near passed out! Are you doing any physical therapy? If so, they should be able to help you alot. Dont push yourself, and give it time to heal properly. Some basic stretching and strengthening exercises will do wonders. It's hard to put a timeframe down...everyones different. With just having some tissue removed, I bet you'll be back at it in no time!