Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

recovering in tolex, methods??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dirk, Jul 12, 2004.

1. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    I'm about to recover an Ampeg 8-10 in tolex. All the old stuff is stripped off (well it was already done when I bought it). What should I use for an adhesive and what method should I use? Are there any websites that can show how to do this. I'm going to start my project saturday, most likely.

Dirk

2. contact cement from your local hardware store, using a brush to paint one side with adhesive then putting the tolex on the glued side etc is probly the standard method of doing this.

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    First, I'd examine the cabinet to find out where Ampeg put the seams.

Using contact cement, apply to both the box and back side of the tolex as directed...make sure you have a well ventilated space to work in.

For clean/easy trimming, get an Xacto knife with a brand new blade. They're surgically sharp so be careful. Use a metal straightedge for cutting vinyl at the seams on the bottom and on the back.

The metal corners will hide the miters in the vinyl so you don't need to have them perfect, but close is good too.

Good luck!!!!

4. Nightbass

Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    You might also want to run down to your local amp store and look at cabs to see how the seams are all laid out. In particular, check out the Mesa/Boogie guitar cabs and see some perfect corner miters that don't need corner hardware to hide them.

You know that when you first bring the Tolex near the cab, it's going to be sucked down too fast, too soon, and exactly where it is not supposed to be, ruining your whole project? So you should "roll" the Tolex on, smoothing it with your hands to make sure there's no air bubbles. Go slow - you only have one chance to do it right.

In order to keep large pieces from sticking all at once, you can use kraft paper (grocery bags cut apart) in between the Tolex and the wood, and slide the paper out as needed. Kraft paper won't stick to dry contact cement. I don't trust having Mr. Murphy around when I'm Tolexing, so I generally lay a square of Kraft paper on the side that I'm working on, just in case.

Nightbass

5. I have a vintage svt 810 that I was going to re-Tolex but I think that it isn't worth the trouble as any new tolex is just eventually going to get torn off anyway. I am probably going to get the local guys who do spray in box liners on trucks to give it a go. And that newer tolex that Ampeg uses for its cabs is useless IMO. Always comes off in big chuncks.

6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Our PA guys have coated their subs and mains with that truck liner stuff. Its perfect for "on the move" music gear, appears to be indestrucable.

7. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Good tips Nightbass...thanks!!!!

8. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    thanks for all the tips guys. Since I've already ordered the tolex, I think I'm going to stick with the recovering. I'm not using new Ampeg tolex to recover either. I'm going for a unique look with my bass rig, so I ordered some brown tolex from www.vibroworld.com .... I should start on the project next week and I'll be sure to post a lot of pictures as things are developing.

Dirk

9. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    What color grille?

10. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I almost went that way, but I had a hard time getting my hands on any for less than $100. I used latex backed ozite carpet from parts express. Check it out. www.bobmelnik.com and click on "My Projects"

11. Rock&Roll

Rock&Roll

Jul 21, 2002
    USA

Hmm. This is just my thoughts, but one would think that this would certainly effect the way the cabinet sounds, no?

12. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Billy,
    I'll probably either go for Magnatone brown or oxblood on the grill.

Dirk

13. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I would surmise that tuck bed coating "could" slightly affect how the cab sounds, but I would imagine it would be for the better, since the coating would make the cab more rigid, which would eliminate unwanted resonances.

High-end speaker manufacturers go to great lengths to internally brace their cabs for rigidity to reduce resonances. That's one of the main differences between a cheap cab and a quality cab.

14. Can't be any worse than carpet or Tolex.

15. Rock&Roll

Rock&Roll

Jul 21, 2002
    USA
    You're probably right. I think soundbridge covers their cabs with something that's very hard and sprays on. It's probably not a bad ticket to do that, considering you have options of the the thickness and consistency of that liner stuff. It has to be more durrable that tolex. The effect on sound..........possible--probably negligable.